Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

POWERMAX DRIVE BELTS - WEAK LINK !!

schaefer72

hi - i so far have found the weakest link in my powermax 4041 with pto to be the 2 drive belts - after only about 8 hours on my new belts and engine the drive belts are worn to the point they slip and no longer supply power to the hydro tranny - this was the same thing once before - i use a johnson workhorse loader on it and work it hard - but it seems like they go bad to quick - i have the manuals and have tighend them to the correct amount - also used good kevlar 1/2 x 24 " belts - what do others use - have others had this problem - is there any way to set up something other than belts ? - thanks

Are the belts you are useing type HA 1/2" x 11/16"? There are about 5 belt types that are 1/2" wide but the thickness and taper are different. Are the grooves in the pullies smooth? Are they worn? Are top and bottom pullies perfectly alligned? When all else fails use O.E.M. Belts. [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11659"]Belt Diagnosis And Trouble Shooting Guide[/url]

Seen quite a few of these tractors with what appeared to be the original drive belts. Only problems I have heard of are the belts slipping when they are old and hard (which makes them slicker). I have replaced the belts on a few and the old ones not be frayed or worn.

I have a 9020 with a loader and back-hoe and I have Gates green label belts installed. I can peel sod with the 50 inch front bucket in our mean old yellow clay. These belts have been on for ten years plus. I have never slipped the belts yet. In fact I had the tractor at a local show where they were having a tractor pull and I pulled the sled, (fully loaded) clear down to the end. My belts will stall the engine before they slip. I'm sure the right belts and proper adjustment will solve your problem.

Are you sure its the belts slipping and not the pully slipping from the splines being stripped off on the stub shaft? Thats why mine wouldn't pull when I got it...

hi guys - what are gates green belts and where do you get them ? - are they the kind with a threaded kevlar coating ? the last ones i got were from a simplicity dealer - i cant remember right now if they were oem or just crossed over - he said they would work - i might try a different type of belt this time and see what happens - how tight do others adjust the belts on your tractors ? - are you just doing exactly what the manual says - turning the adjusting screw in untill its 7 3/4 inches or or do you check the tightness another way ? - how important is the belt guide on the right ? i moved mine out alittle after installing the new engine but it dosent seem like it would matter all that much - should the pulleys just be clean and have a glazed look ? or should i take the glazed look off the with some sand paper to help them grip better ? - also it appears that the idler arm and spring should keep a constant pressure on the belts for the most part even once they are worn ? - something just isnt right - i would think the belts even under load would last alot longer - the belts on cars last almost forever under fairly harsh conditions - thanks for the help !!!

If the pulley on the engine is not rightly aligned with the pulley on the stub shaft that will wear the belts out prematurley too...

hi sam - did you use a straight edge to aligne the pulleys or just eye ball it ? - i just did it by sight but i think i will check it with a straight edge between the 2 - they sure look even though -

I don't know just how critical it is , but I went as far as to set the engine in and out several times using a straight edge and moving the shimms to the clutch block around till I got it near perfect. You are sure the splines are not stripped on the stub shaft in the clutch block? I ask that again because my tractor would run fine till you worked the tranny then it acted like the belts were slipping. Clutch assembly looked fine till I took hold of it without the belts hooked up and found a little play. Took the pulley off and all the splines were stripped as well as the bearings being bad... Just asking..

hi sam - i think the splines are o.k. - i looked at them briefly while switching motors - i will check them when i replace the belts - side note is to replace the belts - now i have to actually unbolt the motor because the pulleys sit so close to the engine there is no room for me to slide the belts on - i also drilled 4 holes in the base plate of the engine compartment to allow a socket to enter from below for easier engine removal - it actually only takes acouple minutes now -

Been there, I found I had to tip the engine back to slip the belts on then bolt it down.

I replaced the clutch bearings in one of my AC 620's (one with the Ark loader) then installed O.E.M. belts at the same time, thats been 15 years ago and no problems. My other 620 I mow and plow with,I have not replaced the drive belts. I have had both of these tractors for 25+ years. I adjust everything according to the manual. Hope this helps, if you are still having problems, it has to be something visual. Floyd

hi just an update - i called and ordered the oem simplicity belts from sandy lake - they come in a matched set for $24 bucks - ordered 2 sets - they said they are alittle different in size than a standard 24 x 1/2 belt and i should use the oem belts to insure proper fit - hopefully they will work and last better than the general kevlar belts i used before - they were just crossed over by the local dealer because he didnt have any oem in stock and they only lasted a few days under heavy use - we will see how the oem work !! - i love my 4041 and hopefully this will help it - thanks alot - see ya