Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Converting a RBT to a FDT

alanscott

Those running boards look out of place on that 920 (thanks Sam!), I think I torch them off and replace them with a set from a B series. Anyone have any better suggestions?

I would not torch them off. I just went to a heck of a lot of work to build a 920 and torching them off would just ruen the mower. i would try to un bolt them.

Certainly! I was also thinking of painting it the proper A/C yellow and ditching that goofy orange.

Hey, I think it might look pretty good in Homelite Blue & white too...whadda you think? Its looking like that Wheel Horse is a RJ-58 with a 8hp Kohler that somone added at one time. I think I'll put it back and make it a winter restoration. Gives me time to find the right size engine and a few other things for it. Should be able to have fun with it anyhow...

Whats a 920 look like Alan?? I'd be for unbolting them instead of tourching, That allful terminal. You may want to sell it someday a lose a few hundred bucks for the pleasure of torchin...MPH

Sam, Where did you find any numbers on it? I looked it over a couple of times and never came across them. It should make a good tractor for your kids to use. The guy I got it from said he might be able to get ahold of the deck from it, that was about a year ago, you want me to try? I pulled the exhaust manifold off the 920 to remove that busted stud and found it's just the front hole that's slobbering. I'll check the return lines to make sure they are unrestricted and if so, I am going to pull that injector and have it tested. The big fuel leak was a ruptured hose, the little leak appears to be the diaphram in the priming pump. Kris, That's the one. I swapped him a wheel horse and some cash for it. Maynard, Harrumph! Marty, So glad you asked :) Feerless leader in the foreground, tractor in the background. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/alanscott/DSC00010.JPG[/img]

GAds! You had to post that picture didn't you.......:o) Good thing it wasn't a sunny day, might need sunglasses to look at it:D Went to one of the Wheel Horse sites and asked some questions on the RJ. Seems the 35 had a different tranny than this one. This one seems to be copesetic with a 58/59. I have a owners / parts manual for the 58 and it looks like the same thing. I'd take the deck if it could be shipped UPS without involving a fortune. That would be great if you get her to going with little expense, hope it works out that way.

Alan I have 3 extra injectors. One I replaced years ago as I thought it was bad. The other two I replaced last year because I wanted to.lol Those injectors new are about $160 apiece. Sam wife says you don't need your hat you are very pleasent looking but don't get sunburned.

OK,,,I'm confussed, from Sams reply, I take that is you, Sam, in the picture, next to Alans tractor??when the deal was being made..Nice looking tractor, forgot the 920 was the desiel model. Traded for a wheel horse??impeachable...MPH

Yep Marty, Thats me. I don't stand a chance, The men on both sides of my family have "glossy tops". I felt the trade/cash was a fair deal. I know zip about diesels and didn't want to spend any more money on it. The late 50's RJ58 Wheel Horse ,however ,I know and can work on. Restored I can get the rest on my money back or I can show it. It'll make a good winter project.

Alan, Not to mention his sharp loader tractor, his son's Homelite, and the rest of the collection.... Even his "scrap pile" was impressive when we were there earlier this year!

Alan didn't get to see the same piles you saw when you all were here. I already had taken one tandem load to the yard, and a second load was on the trailer waiting to go while he was here. I think I still have a third load with the John Deeres laying out there on the cement... I need to clean house a little, I just brought home a whole trailer load of WHeel Horse parts tractors & attachments and still have a Cadet to go pick up.

Kent, True. Sam, speaking of scrape, that fellow I got the 112 from has a lot of A/C parts he wants to get rid of, free. He is about 180 miles from you. If you want to take the drive, I'll put you in touch with him.

Sam im confused on the picture. Those pipes on the other side of the 920 is one of them an intake for the air breather? And is the other one an exhaust pipe for a wood stove? If so aint it on the wrong side of the wall? Nice looking 920 tho

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
Sam im confused on the picture. Those pipes on the other side of the 920 is one of them an intake for the air breather? And is the other one an exhaust pipe for a wood stove? If so aint it on the wrong side of the wall? Nice looking 920 tho
Leroy, Tha was a semi-successfull experiment at heating the shop and keeping the fire outside. Needs a larger firebox and a bigger fan on the inside of the wall to circulate the air. Not sure if I will continue with that angle , or just break down and put it all inside the building. right now I'm putting a Wheel Horse package together to try and sell later to pay for whichever route I go. Alan, you better pass that parts treasure info on to another around here. I havn't got time to drive up there in the forseeable future...

Wasn't pickin on you Sam, just don't recall haveing seen a pic of you before so I wasn't sure who I was looking at. Someday I hope to make a long slow trip and meet a bunch of you. Sure hope your scrap piles going to the 'yard' aren't something one should covet.. Kirk, your mighty right on Sam fine looking 720, least in pics..MPH

Sam, I have a Wheel Horse B-111. The deck is rusted through like swiss cheese, but the spindles and housing and such may still be worth something. Do you know if they would be in demand? I haven't retrieved the numbers from the deck yet to know what model it is. I'm basically trying to find out if I should just junk the whole thing, or scrap out what is still usable. I have a 2 year old boy and 3 month old girl, and my plan is to just paint the little horse and give it to them to play on. Small and light weight for them to drive around, so I don't want a mower deck on it. Thanks.

I don't know what a B-111 is really...but Most Wheel horse parts seem to sell on Ebay if they are in good shape.

That was Alan, not me.... but you're right, he is one fine lookin' gent... or was that the tractor you're talking about??