Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
haeffnkr

718 ?

haeffnkr
There is a 718 for sale semi close to me, and I was wondering what the general opinion was of this tractor, I can not seem to find any pictures (other than the great sales literature on this site...). Did this model come with hydro deck/implement lift? Any opinions would be appreciated. thanks Kevin

SmilinSam
Should be a Hydrostatic drive and most likely a electric lift. Hydraulic lift was not an option till into the 900 series a few years later. If you do go to buy it and it still has the 18 OHV engine, buy for a price where you can afford to buy a replacement engine. The 18 OHV single cylinders were not much on longevity and are now short on available parts where the head an valves are concerned.

MikeES
As Sam stated, the 18hp (K361) engines are hard to find the valve train parts for (including the head). The rest of the engine shares the same parts as the 16hp (K341). Which are easily available. The issue with the 18hp is the valves in the head did not leave alot of fins for cooling. If the fins got plugged with grass and dirt, the head overheated and usually dropped a valve seat, and other issues. Many of the 18hp heads cracked. If the engine has been taken care of and has never overheated, it is a great engine with lots of power. We use an 18hp in our pulling tractor, it works great.

haeffnkr
Thanks for the information, I looked at Case 446 today and I though the price was right, I am not sure I like it better, than an AC. I did like those giant bar tires on it though..... The Case was real touchy/jerky when trying to go forward/reverse. I have only drove a 900 hydro once, but it seemed to be more pleasant to drive than this Case. Anyone have an opion about the hydros on an AC versus the Case? thanks again, Kevin

dvogt
Don't confuse a Case Hydraulic drive with a hydrostatic drive. The Case or Ingersol Hydraulic drive does seam very jerky , I've drivin & used some of them . I was never very impressed with them & theres no comparison to the hydrstatic drive that Simplicity , AC, Cub Cadet & others use.