Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KSever

Governor shaft seal ?

KSever
Was going to change the governor shaft seal on the 11HP vertical Briggs but was wondering if it can be done without taking this engine apart. Not that I'm not going to take the oil pan off and change the oil pan gasket too and inspect the insides for wear but I was just curious if the shaft seal can be done without disassembling the engine.

powerking_one
Kris, I don't think Briggs ever used governor shaft seals on any of their engines, not to mention Tecumseh or Kohler either. Onan did though. Tom(PK)

KSever
Hi Tom, I was looking through the parts manual and it does list a shaft seal on the 252000 series engines. Hopefully I can get this shaft to stop leaking because that's the only leak the engine has that I can see now. After changing the oil dipstick seal and not to mention the oil drain tube was about 3 complete turns loose and was about to fall out. I picked this engine up to install on my 4211 off Ebay and the tractor the engine came off was a oilly mess. I couldn't see the engine mounting bolts from the oil

BLT
Kris the only thing I see in my parts book is a replacement bushing that can be reamed out. Of all the 25-28 CID engines I have taken apart, I don't ever recall seeing a seal. Do you have complete model number and type?

KSever
Thanks Bob, This engine is a 252707 type 0177-01. I'm looking at a Illustrated Parts manual from Briggs for the engines 252700-252799. Page two has two different parts for this governor, they list a seal and a bushing. Without taking this apart I don't know which one I have now. Shows two different part numbers for these also: 491323 Seal-Gov.Shaft 491986 Bushing-Gov Crank

BLT
Kris, I have the paper MS-6929 and downloaded the one from Briggs and yes there it is bigger then life. My paper edition, dated 08/88 has no item 87 and it is my gut feeling that you don't have it, especially if the date code is (first two numbers of serial number)is less then 88. Even my service binder which was last updated 12/97 doesn't show it. I was thinking the seal might be a felt, but the illustration shows a counter bore for the seal. Either way you have to split the sump to do it right.

KSever
Thanks Bob, I'm going to split that case tonight in about a hour as soon as the wife goes to bed. I was going to split it anyway to change the pan gasket just for good measure and check out thr rest of the engine for wear marks. I'll let you know for sure. Kris

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by KSever
Thanks Bob, I'm going to split that case tonight in about a hour as soon as the wife goes to bed. I was going to split it anyway to change the pan gasket just for good measure and check out thr rest of the engine for wear marks. I'll let you know for sure. Kris
Kris my paper edition shows, 231058 crank, 231597 bushing after date code 88041700 and 231055 bushing before date code 88041800. Check the protrusion of the bushing on the outside of the block. It should be about 1/16". This is your new bushing setting. And acoording to my service book you need a Briggs 19333 finishing reamer.

KSever
Bob, It is for sure a bushing. I took the oil sump pan off to mainly change the gasket since 3 other engines I had leaked after I cleaned them all up. I'm not going to do anything about the bushing right now, I was going to change the seal since I had one in the gasket kit I picked but since the governor has no seal I can't change it. At least I got the oil sump pan gasket changed and cleaned out the old oil since I didn't know what the guy before had in it. Bob Thanks for all your research and knowledge, I sure did learn alot. Kris