Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BrownA

Negative feedback on Ebay

BrownA
Yesterday I posted my first negative comment on Ebay. This is what happened. First, the ad was for a hay rake to fit a Simplicity. It was in Vermont. I emailed the guy to find out where and he responded back. It was within my driving range and I thought it would be neat just because it was something different. Well, I won the auction which had no reserve price. I won at $.18, yes that's 18 cents. After winning I sent my info to the seller through Ebay. I never got a response and sent a couple more emails to him. No responses to emails, so I got a money order for .18 cents and sent it to him with a letter. I even offered to pay more for the rake ( understanding that he should have had a reserve price, his mistake ). My wife thought I was wrong for doing this. Technicaly I only have to pay .18 cents. I even explained that I did not care to leave negative feedback but without their cooperation it leaves me no choice. Conclusion to the story is I won auction, , emails with no responses, letter with money order, offered to work with seller, his response was he answered 1 email before the end of auction and told me what part of Vermont he was in, at end of auction he never contacted me or responded to my attempts to communicate with him so after waiting a while I left negative feedback because obviously this seller doesn't care about his reputation on Ebay. He had also changed his Ebay user name once even though he had less than twenty transactions. I have never changed mine and have approx. 80 - 90 positive feedbacks. I guess the message here is to look at the big picture, If this person had contacted me I am sure we could have worked it out. I know the rake was worth more than .18 cents and I was expecting to pay more than that. Oh well.

stinkie
I have a couple old Gravely's that I have been parting out on ebay. I have had pretty good luck so far. I always tell people that if they arent satisfied that I will refund their money (-shipping cost) no questions asked. I had one guy that bought a zenith carb for a gravely from me thinking it was aluminum and it was actually cast iron. He emailed me and sounded kinda worried that he had been screwed or that I had send him the wrong thing. I told him that I was sorry for any confusion but two pictures of the item had been posted and I only had one carb so I know I sent him the right thing. I also told him that if he couldnt use it to send it back and that I would send him the money back. Everything usually works out. I have only had one bad experience so far, but I think it will be resolved in the near future (late payment, well no payment yet!). I have found that it is pretty safe (selling wise and buying wise) because of feedback. You still have to be careful though.

BrownA
I love Ebay. I think it's great and have only had 1 bad experience in over 80 transactions. I can't complain. It has also opened up a lot of opportunities for me to find stuff that I would never find around Boston. Just this week I bought a used steering part for a AC B series for $11.00 and change. Almost half was the shipping and the part is not available new. It's a great resource. One bad experience doesn't effect my opinion. I was trying to send a warning without giving the persons name for the future just to give everyone a heads up.

thedaddycat
You could take this further by going to eBay with it. You can report him as a "Non-performing seller" and eBay can go so far as to boot him for it. While that's a bit drastic, you might try emailing that tidbit and see if he wants to work with you or get reported. I'd be tempted to force the sale at 18 cents(it is a contract) then maybe tell him he could have had $50 if he'd worked it out with you.....

pacodiablo
People that pull that kind of crap get to me. Why they would post something for less than they are willing to sell it for, I do not know.

Ishmael2k
Just be careful how you word your email to him, it could get you in trouble. I have had two bad experiences with ebay.[V] In one I got the guy booted, and never got my product. The other I got a DOA item, the seller refused to do anything saying it was covered under warranty. The company said no way as I didn't have a retail receipt. All in all I lost about $40.00 and some time. I emailed the guy giving him one last chance to make good, telling him I was going to be forced to leave negative feedback. I was then notified by eBay that telling a seller that you are going to post negative feedback unless they do something is against eBay's rules. I was told that I got one warning and another complaint and I would be booted!!! [:0] I really like eBay and have had a lot of good experiences but it is getting worse and worse there.

stinkie
Even if I dont post a reserve price, I usually just start the bid at the minimum I'm willing to take.

thedaddycat
If you stick to the facts you should be OK. You've already left feedback so that's no issue here. Fact: You and the seller entered into a contract that the seller is trying to avoid abiding by. Fact: You can report him as a non-performing seller. Fact: If you two work it out you can resolve the issue. Fact: If he refuses to honor the contract or work to resolve the issue you will consider other options, including (but not necessarily limited to) reporting him as a NPS. Look at it this way, how would you tread a deadbeat bidder? Well this is the flip side of the coin..... Though I have only sold a few things on eBay so far, I agree with Stinkie. Set your opening bid at what the minimum price you'll settle for is or set a reserve. The higher listing fee(for higher opening bids) is cheap insurance against having to sell at too low a price.

SmilinSam
Bottom line is , if he decided he doesn't want to sell the item for the bid amount he's not going to sell it , period. No matter how much you want to push the issue either. I think its clear he has no intention of letting it go for that price regardless of the consequences. My advice to you would be to shrug it off and file your complaint with Ebay and let it go at that. Your wife is right, you shouldn't have offered more, but I'll go one further that you probably shouldn't have sent the money order without a positive response either. No response after the sale was a big red flag that shouldn't have been ignored.

BrownA
I like all your feedback. Kirk, I liked your attitude. You were right the seller would have got more money if he only communicated. But on the other hand, a win is a win. It's not my fault he did not know what he was doing. The only reason I sent the money order was because I figured I would do all the right steps regardless of what he wanted to do. For .18 cents it doesn't matter. Now if I had sent $100.00 and got that type of response it would be a different story. Thanks, I enjoy everyones input.

Brent_Baumer
One tactic I've heard works, but never done it myself as I have not had any bad transactions, is to watch all the deadbeat sellers auctions and email his bidders with your bad experience with a copy to the seller. Seems like to me it would get their attention. Don't know if you can get into trouble doing this, would think so if you stuck to the facts. Brent

Steell
I did the e-mail the bidder on a deadbeat seller one time, and got a nasty e-mail from Ebay as a result:(! Steve

Bunky
I have never posted negative feedback was gonna couple of times.. 1st time ebay revoked there account before I could and the other time a ebayer was trying to take advantage of me on shipping and I didn't want to post until after he posted and he never posted so I didn't..... I agree that If someone doesn't want to sell something they should of ended the auction .... I have done quite a bit of stuff on ebay and been lucky... but just waiting for that first unlucky time....

Agricola
Ebay is pretty good in my eyes. In many cases you can find out where the person actually lives either via Ebay directly or via Ebay, their phone number and then WWW.whitepages.com. But generally Ebay is been good.

LeoB
My experience with EBay while overall good, has been a bit different when it comes to deadbeat sellers. I've had a couple of times that an auction item went for much less than the seller intended. In one case the seller was shill bidding his own item up and then cancelled the auction a couple of seconds before it was to end (literally a couple of seconds). In both cases I reported the situation to to EBay after unsuccessful communication attempts and in both cases, the seller was still out there doing thier thing a month later. Now, I don't know what kind of communication EBay sent these guys, but I do know that in both cases, I never heard from them and certainly never got the item I won. As far as I'm concerned, EBay doesn't seem to punish the sellers very harshly. They seem to very concerned with me, the buyer if I deadbeat out of deal and can be harsh with buyer, but the sellers seem to be a different story... maybe 3 strikes and your out kind deal, I just don't know. I did leave negative feedback for both individuals and got my own negative feedback as a payoff. Now I just chalk it up and forget about it, I just don't know what you can do to make someone sell you an item for less than they want. I think it was good of you to try to offer a fairer price for the item and just don't get why the guy never even responded to that offer. Seems more than fair. With all that said though, it's hard to beat EBay for finding stuff that can't seem to be located through traditional methods and most of my transactions, both selling and buying have gone well.

Nick
I had problems with eBay lately too, I purchased an Allis-Chalmers B-110 - B-112 ad on June 18. I ha planned on scanning it, and sending it to Kent to add to the AC ad gallery. I have never seen one like it before. I was told it was shipped June 27. I did not purchase insurance, because I didn't think it was necessary. He claimed it got lost in the mail. my guess is it was probably never sent. He sends me a e-mail 4 days ago telling me he can send me a similar ad. and gives me the item #.I check it realizing it's the one I had bid on. I told him it was the same ad I just purchased. The next email he tells me he has no clue what I am talking about. Look at his ME page, He's definitely on an ego trip. It says he's planning on getting his Bachelors degree. if he's a majoring in business, he shouldn't even bother. I filed a complaint with eBay. I told him about it, and sent me an email today that said he will be sending out a refund. Hopefully this will turn out OK, The outllook dosen't look good though.:( Here is the link for the ad I purchaced: [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3612677552&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1[/url] Here are 2 emails people sent me about the seller, Hello, Sorry to hear you are one of the "latest victims". Has he left neg for you yet? I bought a magazine from him in January to give to a friend who would be staying at my home for a week on vacation in March. The reason I even bought it was because it had her birthdate on it. I told this jerk I needed it before the first of March. I used the buy it now so I paid more than average for it plus I sent insurance to see I got it. I recieved many where's my money letters to begin with but when I started asking where's my magazine things started to change. I finally got a response from him 10 days before I needed the mag. with, "I am sure it will get there I mailed it on Feb. 13". I said "you got my money on June 27 you mailed it Feb. 13th!" He then said "you will get it". I wait and waited and never did get it by March 1. I wrote if it's not here by then I want a refund or the insurance receipt so I can collect the insurance money for it. He wrote a lot of letters trying to act stupid about it saying "receipt, ebay doesn't give receipts". I said, "you know what I mean...USPS receipt!" More time goes by and finally I recieved a magazine....it was mailed on MARCH 11th! I got it on the 14th of March that is well over six weeks in waiting! To late to give I then said I am going to return it for the refund I asked for to start with. He tells me he wants me to allow him to file a NPB on it. I said, "I'm not doing that..you are asking me to tell them I didn't pay for it when I did!" That it would ruin my standing with ebay. He then says he sent me a second mag on March 11th, yeah right, I just fell off a turnip truck... since he wouldn't provide a receipt to prove it I said I didn't believe it. His childish or insulting letters continued. In one he said he was "sorry I had a minimum paying job so I had to worry about such a small dollar item". This little twerp is now getting on my last nerve. Finally the 90 days were about to end so I left neutral feedback for him since he did finally send the now worthless magazine. He then writes me a taughting letter saying he left me NEG. because "you deserved it". I waited over six weeks, got numberous nasty letters and I DESERVED NEGATIVE! I'm the nightmare....HELLO!! He is some piece of work a real ego trip too...have you clicked on his "me"? Laughable!! I checked into having my neg removed and you lose again by having to pay $20 bucks to square trade! Those people are all about making money not helping get rid of cheats. and the 2nd: Nick, I really do not know where to start!!!! Ben(aka macroseller) is a 100% JACKASS!!!!!!!!!! Up until about a week ago I had saved every email that SOB had sent me just in case someone like you responded to my feedback on him, I could have forwarded them to you to let you read for yourself. I ordered an ad on 5/12/03 and received an email from him & feedback on 5/21/03 saying item was sent.Well, I waited, & waited, & waited. Finally recived a bent ad on 6/6/03 with a postmark on it 6/3/03!!! If you print a copy of your items won as I do for my records, you will notice he HIGHLY ADVISES you purchase insurance for an additional $1.30, which I did. Item received had NO INSURANCE put on it. I emailed Ben, as he request you do if you have a problem with your order, and he had every excuse in the world why it took so long to get, why it wasn't shipped on 5/21/03 as he stated, his shipper had run out of plastic bags & cardboard & had not told him!! What a crock of BS!!!! All I wanted was an apology from him & we emailed back & forth about 4 or 5 times with each of his emails getting more hateful and cocky.I finally got tired of his **** and dropped it. Oh, I did take the time 1 night to go into his feedbacks and spent a good 6 hours going through them to read his negative feedbacks which he has ALOT OF!!!!!!!!!!!! You & I are not the only ones he has screwed. If I were you, I would not let him get away with it, even though it is only about $5.00. I would DEMAND AN IMMEDIATE REFUND, at least I finally got the ad I bought, even though it was bent all to hell because he does not pack worth a ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

patrician12
My ebay experiences have usually been good and some great.There was one time however when I bought a lathe that the situation turned disasterous.It was a brand new bench lathe and I won it in the end of NOV.so I guess Xmas shopping wasn't so good for lathes I got it for a 1/3 of its price..Well a month went by and no lathe.Ebay has $75.00 hush money policy and will do virtually nothing for you.Here is what I did.Since the correspondence was over the internet I contacted the FBI.Since the money was mailed through the post office it constituted mail fraud and then I contacted the Indiana attorney general.I wouldn't have been so vindictive but I told the guy I needed it right away for the project I had promised my 11year old for Xmas.Let me tell you each agency did it's job immediately and with great zeal.The most deadly was the post office.Since then I never use a credit card only money orders.The fact that your check went through their mail is like having F.Lee Bailey represent you for free. I was impressed.I got the lathe,late though,but I got it. I really can't remember any other bad experiences but ebay you will find to be useless!!! Last year I bought a 16HP twin cylinder Gilson tractor with a plow,chains,and wheel weights in mint condition except for one mower deck spindle needed to be replaced for 125.00 delivered.Lots of times I buy stuff and they will send me the wrong one and tell to just keep it and we will send you the right one!Besides I get stuff on ebay you would never find in 3 lifetimes.

John_RI
BrownA, I think I was interested in that rake also - there was one in VT. starting at a penny or something - looked like a big york rake? The title didn't mean anything to me so I asked the seller what it was and what it was used for. No response to 2 emails. I let it go.

Leroy
Thats how i work it also. I ask questions if they dont respond then I assume they are to busy to be informative. Someone else can have at it.