Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broken Axle Tube

BillT

OK guys, I've got a broken axle tube on my B-212. Can this be changed out without splitting open the trans? Any tips...all hint's welcome!! Sure was nice that Simplicity still makes these......

Sorry, you have to split the tranny to change it out. On the bright side, you can always find a whole tranny and swap it out, keeping the old one for parts. PM me, I have both an axle tube and a whole tranny. Since we're both in CT, we're no more than an hour or so apart.

If it were me, I'd get a new tranny. It is a real blast getting that axle tube out!!!!!!!! Just my suggestion....

I have changed 5 axle tubes this year,2 of them mine the others where customers.Its not at all as bad as what you think,if you have a little mechanical knowledge and some common sence.P.S. a repair manaul will help,just in case you need a reference to go together.

I agree with those who said it's not a bad job, just take your time. However, if you can do a deal with Daddycat or someone else for the whole tranny deal, that'd be the way to go in the short term and probably less expensive as well. Another benefit would be having some spare parts the next time something goes bad on you. I might even try to repair the thing and put it on a shelf for that day. I think I paid somewhere around $170 for a brand new tube, seal, keys and some misc bolts. If I couldn't get a tranny, I'd do the axle tube again now that I have been there once. The tractor is worth all of that to me. The biggest problem seemed to be cutting the old axle tube's splintered end off. I ended up using 5 fiberglass dremel cutoff wheel to get through it. Nothing else I had seemed to touch it. Good Luck however you decide to go.

Bill, I live the other side of the state of CT from the Daddy Cat and have 95% of an AC 314S gear box on the shop floor that needs a good home if that will help.EDS

Bill, Changing axle tubes isn't that bad of a job if you take your time and have a shop manual for a reference, also take alot of pics while you are taking it apart that way if you have question about how it goes back together you can use the pics. as a reference.:)