Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PowerMax 4040 Update

RodStayner

It looks like the problem with my 16.5 HP Onan is the intake manifold gasket is gone and sucking air on the side that isn't firing. The spark problem is due to the plug wires being worn and rubbing on the hood! I am hoping that new gaskets, plugs, and wires will get it running well. I did do a compression check and it holds at 125 PSI on both cylinders. I ordered the repair manual from Simplicity, and need to get a parts book for the Onan engine. I know it is a 16.5 CCKA, but is there some other model # I need (my ID tag is missing) when ordering parts? Also, does anyone know where I can get a parts breakdown for the 3 pt and the rear PTO? I have parts lists for everything else! Thanks- Rodney

I checked my Simplicity engine information and for a 4040 990705 tractor, the engine model is CCKA/MS type 2026G. Thats all I can help you with. It's the anly 16.5 HP engine used and only for that tractor.

You can download Onan manuals from this site: [url]http://www.donhillmaninc.com/Engines/engine.htm[/url]

Rodney, The parts breakdown for the rear pto and the three point are in manual # TP 400-1370-00-PM-S It is available for download at the Simplicity tech pub site for free. Maynard (UCD) has posted which numbers are for which category. I found all the manuals I needed for my 4041, front loader, and tiller. Happy Hunting Later, Chad

This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php

Thanks for all the help in locating manuals! I replaced the plugs, wires, and made new intake manifold gaskets. It fired right up on both cylinders. It does smoke more than I like though. As I stated in a previous message, the compression is good, but I am wondering if it needs a valve job. When I mowed yesterday, under a full load it doesn't smoke much. But at times at idle it just seems to smoke more than any other tractor. And I am not sure if the charging system is working properly. The Ampmeter is not going into positive territory when running, so this might be something else I have to look at. Any ideas on the engine or charging system would be appreciated. I intend on putting a picture in my gallery in case anyone is interested.

It might need valve seals but not a valve job. A valve job will not stop it from smokeing but valve seals will.

Hi Rod, The major differences between the CCKA & CCKB were the HP (go to the side draft carb & intake, BOOM 19.5!), Charging systems (15 amp WICO on the CCKA & 15 amp Phelen and 20 amp Syncro all with their different flywheels.) Last but not least (in your case) Valve guide seals. The CCKA didn't have them & the CCKB only had them on the intake side (Go figure). You can put the CCKB intake guides on the CCKA & get the valves re-done. My thought is the old style one piece oil ring is the culprit (nothing to do with compression, really). The new ring sets have a three piece oil ring (two thin 'scraper' rings & an expander that pushes the ring against the wall). I'd pop a head, put in a new top ring in the clyinder to check end gap. If it's out of spec & it's on the standard bore, you can custom fit some +.005 over rings in (if your piston to cylinder is NOT out of spec). "That's all I got to say about that...." 8-) JP

JP - It might be that the CCKB has intake valve stem seals because a higher intake manifold vacuum signal is needed for the sidedraft carb to meter more fuel into the intake charge for the higher HP.

I have read where Onan parts for this engine are expensive, so how much do you guys think this will cost if I have to do the valves, seals, or to rebuild? I don't think that everything is worn out; it mowed great yesterday without missing a beat! A friend of mine is telling me to say heck with it and put in the new engine conversion and never have to worry about it again. But my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money in it right now. (I still have a good Sunstar sitting next to the 4040!) Any ideas on the costs involved with doing the valves and such? Thanks- Rodney

Rod, Have you checked your plugs to see if they have oil versus carbon buildup on them? Also, you may want to pull the heads and decarbon them. Also, check your oil to make sure that no gas has gotten into it and thinned it out which can cause it to bypass the rings easier. This happened to my Dad's 4041 when he put a "brand new Onan brand fuel pump" on it and didn't realize it until it had ruined the rings. Plus, your breather could be stuck open allowing oil to be sucked up into the carb though it seems like it would smoke at all rpms. PS: I have owned both the Powermax and Sunstar tractors (actually still do) and much prefer the power steering and tighter turning radius of the Sunstar.

Gretsch- I changed the oil and filter yesterday before I mowed. The plugs are new, and I can pull them out and check them. My Sunstar is an older one (16 HP with a 48" deck) with no power steering, but it still does a good job. However, I sure like the power that this 4040 has. Plus the 3 pt and rear PTO are nice options. I put a picture in my gallery but have no clue how to link to it or post it here. Rod