Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

disc advice

This is my Brinly disc which was in perfect shape when I bought it.I overloaded it and drug it around the mountain ground with my old 7112 trying to break up the rocks enough to plant grass,and blew out the bearings on most of the discs-(although the discs themselves are still in pretty good shape).Is this worth repairing,or should I just look for another unit? Any feedback appreciated.CJ

Parts are still available, think you would have a hard time replacing it used. E-mail Brinly & they will help you. StanD

I would try Brinly first otherwise.. for the bearings you could just try your local bearing distributor....

Your 'bearing' looks to be the same as my newly bought ad/fab, which is just a pipe that is maybe 1/4 in longer then the housing, made so that when you tighten the bolt the disc's mount on the pipe rotates in the housing and all 4 disc's turn at the same time. Looks like your nut came loose and wolled things out. When I have my near 200lb son ride on mine seems one side or the other is loose about every 15 min. Gonna get a lock nut to replace the second nut with as I forsee future damage if I don't resolve it. Think you just showed me the results. Did you make the tandam outta two singles or buy it that way??MPH

I have an early disc (early 60's)that I think is a simplicity. The bearings they used were wooden blocks. I am going to replace them with hickory. JH PS does anyone else have the wooden bearings?

Well I have a press if I need to use it.. But most the time I drive them out... I also have an old disc.... It too uses a piece of thats just a little longer the the outer tube....

Marty-I bought it as a tandem along with some other stuff-the hitch that came with it wouldn't work for my 7112,so I had a tongue made for it.(I'll dig that hitch out and get a picture on here).I guess I will just take it apart and go from there.Anybody know what the original hitch was to go from a sovereign to a Brinly disc? thanks for the info,CJ