Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mongson

Brake Job Questions

mongson
Although it still turns on a dime, tractor no longer stops on one. Maybe a quarter. After stepping on the clutch/brake of my Regent, it takes about 2-3 feet to come to a complete stop. It was not this way when I bought it. I read through the manual and adjusted the spring to a little beyond spec but it still does not stop any better. Is it possible that my tractor could need a brake job? If so, is it possible to do at home by me? Are there any other adjustments I could make? Could I adjust the spring out of spec enough to work? Please advise. Thanks.

Good_Ole_JR
On an old Montgomery Wards I had, the brake band had wore out and I couldn't get it to stop very well either. What I did was to remove the metal strip the brake material was mounted on and clean off all remaining brake material with a grinder. Once this was done, I cut a piece of an old leather belt to the size of the old brake material and JB welded it to the metal strip. After I did this I remounted the band to the drum and tightened it down to make firm contact to the drum so that it would cure to the metel strip. DO NOT GET ANY JB WELD ON THE DRUM BETWEEN THE LEATHER AND THE DRUM! Also make sure to glue the smooth side of the leather to the brake band itself. This was a very easy and quick cure for my stopping problem. Just remember to readjust your brakes after allowing the JB weld to cure.

Good_Ole_JR
I never thought of getting actual brake material. I could have picked some up at the local NAPA store but, this was late at night when I got this brainstorm and figured since I wouldn't be putting the tractors brakes under any extreme pressure that the leather would hold up. The leather did hold up for better than five years when I traded the tractor off.

gretsch
Mongson, Is your Regent gear drive or hydro? On the newer hydros the transmission lever should be brought back to neutral by pressing on the brake pedal which would effectively stop it.

Good_Ole_JR
The brake lining is a material that is used to line brake shoes and pads. Some vehicles can have their shoes relined with this material and it is the same stuff that originally came on the shoes. On certain older vehicles you could buy the material and the rivets to reline the brake shoes and the parking brake band yourself. I have an old 59 Chevy truck that uses a brake band that goes around a drum on the driveshaft that serves as the emergency/parking brake. The only way to get brake material on this is to reline it yourself or to have it done.

mongson
Tractor is a Regent gear model. I have not yet started this project yet because I have no idea where to start. Do I start at the top and work my way down to get to the brakes or do I go at it from the underside? Any suggestions would be great. thanks.