Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pacodiablo

Breakthrough...for me at least...

pacodiablo
Last week I bought a wire cleaning brush for my Dremel because it was cheap and looked to be worth a try. So today I was in the garage and saw it and figured I would give it a try. To sum things up, it tore the carbon off the engine without harming the metal at all! Much better than sand paper which does the opposite or any chemical. It works great. I don't think I will need to rebuild the engine afterall either, which is good, because I can't at this point. All I need is a new starter and a lot of cleaning and I may be able to have a working tractor again. I am thinking of selling some of the parts that I do not need off of the MTD to fund it. I will probably get rid of all the body panels and some other parts.

Good_Ole_JR
Speaking of cleaning carbon, I was rebuilding the cylinder head of a 300 six cylinder Ford one time. I disassembled the head and took out the valves and all the springs. I was going to clean everything up myself and have a local machine shop grind the valves and seats for me. I soaked the valves and other related hardware in Purple Power cleaner full strength. Something happened that pulled me away from the job for a few days and when I went back to working on the cylinder head I noticed that all the Purple Power had evaporated from the container that held the valves and hardware. I rinsed the parts in hot water and every speck of built up carbon came off of the valves and all of the old grease and oil came off to. I have never seen any other cold chemical remove carbon like this and I was amazed. I keep Purple Power on hand at all times now. You may have to give it some time but in the long run it really seems to do a good job. I bought the stuff at a local Advance Auto Parts store but I have also seen it at other stores too.

cckemm
My problem seems to be that I never want to wait for the cleaner to work. I suppose I could spray it on and wait for awhile but that is just not me. I need something that works instantly, you know spray it on and POOF all grease and carbon are instantly gone, and maybe a little switch on the side of the can to turn on the paint remover feature, so POOF all the paint is gone too. Wouldn't that be great.....