Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

specs on 718 motor??

ac_puller

our 718 blew the head gasket out this week. Got is apart and ready to put the new gasket in. Need to know some specs: torque on the head bolts, clearance on the valves and also which is set first, intake or exhaust? I have a Kohler book but it only covers up to the 16 HP and says nothign on the OH valves. Thx, Wade

There is a Kohler service manual and parts list just for the K361 18hp OHV engine. They are available from Kohler parts distributors or from Jacks Small engine (link is on opening page of Simple Tractors.) I'm at work, when I get home I'll try to dig the info out and E-mail you the info. GregB Millersville, PA

Valve clearance is .005 (0.13mm). Torque on cylinder head is 30-35 ft. lbs. Valve assembly is as follows: 1. Place valves into valve guides in cylinder head. Make sure exhaust valve marked "EXS" is on exhaust manifold side and intake valve marked "INS" is on intake manifold side. 2. Install retainers, valve springs (tight coils toward cylinder head) and valve rotators in that order. 3. Using a valve spring compressor, compress the spring and install valve keepers. Source: Kohler Engines model K361 service manual. DaveM

Thanks to your help guys. It went together last night and started right up. It idles and runs up to half throttle like a champ, but it just won't open up. I'm worried I don't have the valve set in the right order. Can they both be set with the piston at TDC, or do you need to turn it over part way. it ran fine before, so i doubt its carb related.