Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

craftsman

JCB

AYP (American Yard Products), a part of Frigidaire, who's a part of Electrolux (Sweden)... Same people who make Husqvarnas and many of the higher-priced models are VERY similar.

thanks kent i picked up one at a real good deal. i was surpised it hast a cast iron front axle. but its not close to my simplicty (64). john

A Cast Iron front axle is not better than a Forged Steel axel. A cast Iron axel is far better than a stamped steel axel. I think I prefer a heavy forged steel axel over cast Iron. If you hit a Steel axel or load it to heavy it will bend and can be straightened. You hit cast Iron hard or load it to heavy and it breaks. A cast Iron axel is cheaper to manufacture than a Forged Steel axel. The Cast Iron axel is media hype because it was the only feature that could be advertised that was better than the competitors stamped steel axel and infers that the forged steel axel is inferior when in fact it is better. The uninformed public (which are 90% of the people to day) is easily mislead.

thanks ucd. i was surprised cause my other craftmans and throw aways are stamped steel.with no greese fitings. i did look at the craftman web site. there stamped steel till you get up to this model. john

When I was in Anchorage last week I stopped Sears to pick up a new car battery for my son, course I had to check out thier garden section just to look. When I asked the young man tring to help me who's making Sears tractors he Very knowlegably replied "Craftman". When I questioned his answer, choking on my laughter, He very positively pointed to Craftman decal on the tractor in front of us. Tried to inform the poor chap that sears is a retail store, always has been, and so far as I know has never made anything. He informed me I was wrong, sooo Kent, You MUST be wrong also...Afterall, he works there...MPH

Maybe the kid couldn't get a job at McDonalds and ended up at Sears. I doubt however that Sears has much of a training dept. Much of what we profess we learned from our folks.

Good luck on your find John.It is nice when you find a good deal once in a while.Buy the way there is nothing wrong with a cast iron front axle.As long as you take careof it. Like any part on any tractor.I think to day most people know a lot more than these people who live in the past.Just enjoy the new toy John. (Have a good one)---RON B

Sometimes I wonder if we know more than our those of the past. Sure we know physics and calculus and maybe how to drive at high speeds. But they knew survival, hunting, building and family things. More or just different?

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
When I was in Anchorage last week I stopped Sears to pick up a new car battery for my son, course I had to check out thier garden section just to look. When I asked the young man tring to help me who's making Sears tractors he Very knowlegably replied "Craftman". When I questioned his answer, choking on my laughter, He very positively pointed to Craftman decal on the tractor in front of us. Tried to inform the poor chap that sears is a retail store, always has been, and so far as I know has never made anything. He informed me I was wrong, sooo Kent, You MUST be wrong also...Afterall, he works there...MPH
Reminds me of the story a guy I know who works at the local power equipment place, He was waiting for his wife to finish shopping in the mall, so he went over to Sears, and was looking at the chainsaws, a salesman walked up to him as he was holding a McCulloch chainsaw. He went on his spiel on how that was a good chainsaw, he told the salesman it was a piece of junk and went on why. The salesman showed him Craftsman chainsaws and said, "These saws will last a lifetime." So he replied, (kidding around) "Well I was planning on living another 6 months, so I assume it will stop running then" The salesman didn't know what to say.