Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter Problem

PETED

I think it's called Murphy's Law. We just received our first real snow of the season here in Southern New York State, and I decided to plow the driveway with my AC 416H. I had the plow on already, but just needed throw on the chains. I started her up just like I always have, no problem, and pulled it into the middle of the garage for more room. After the chains were on, I went to start up again, and all I could here was a whining noise. The starter was just spinning, not engaging the flywheel. So much for plowing today. Any ideas about what I'm in for here? Is the gear on the starter most likely to go or am I in for bigger problems?

If the starter is just spinning it could be that the starter gear is not moving back into the ring gear of the engine. This is on slide (some call it a bendix) that moves the gear toward the ring gear as the starter is engaged. Many times this just gets sticky and needs to be cleaned up. This can get very sticky in cold weather. Try taking the starter off from the engine and clean it up with cleaner/solvent. Good Luck. MS

I fully agree with Mike the starter drive[bendix] is sticking.Just remove said starter and clean it up with some degreaser, or a wire brush it if it's rusty. Once it's cleaned up.it's not recommended you put grease on it as it will stick again with cold temps.I like to spray a little silicone or graphite lubricant on them. It's an easy fix! Happy plowing! dlc