Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
IronPony

Exhaust Question

IronPony
SandyLake said the elbow manifold coming out of the K341 block was no longer available. I took a 1" one off a K301 and welded a 1 1/4 inch nipple on to it and used the original 1" exhaust hardware (muffler and associated pipes) to make exhaust system for my K341. My question - since the K341 had a 1 1/4 inch exhaust and now I am running effectively a 1 inch system can it cause me any problems other than a little loss of power?? Will it over heat or maybe burn a valve? Dan

rokon2813
I dont know kohlers. Is the engine threaded for 1 1/4 pipe? If so your local hardware or plumbing store should have "street els" that size. People in general just dont associate lawnmower parts with a plumbing store but you can get any of the threaded stuff there for a fraction of dealer cost.

BLT
Dan, if you are using the the old exhaust components over you should be OK. The AC parts book for thr 710 thru 716 show the same muffler elbow and short nipple. Go back on one of your own posts that UCD pasted a parts breakdown. That piece you made was probably the same one that you couldn't get. Somewhere something had to be choked down for the muffler to accept it. As far as any added exhaust restriction, I really doubt if there is anything noticeable. You might even notice that you engine sound might be a little more reduced because of the added gas pressure making the muffler do more work. Most mufflers are sized for wide open throttle. In a lawn tractor, this is prohibative as most air cooled engines or any engine wouldn't last a 'New York Second'under that condition. Go for it.

PatRarick
I'm a little confused with this exhaust issue. To my knowledge, there IS NO nipple on the Kohler equipped tractors. The exhaust exits at a 45 degree angle on the Kohlers, and a straight out on the Briggs. The Kohler uses a cast iron, 45 degree unit that screws into the block, and is machined to fit the exhaust pipe. The Briggs uses a 90 degree street elbow and a pipe nipple to accomplish the same thing. As to the exhaust threading, the Briggs block is threaded for 1" on the 7 1/4 horse through 16 horsepower. The Kohler block is threaded for 1" on the 10 through 14 horse engines, and 1 1/4" on the 16 horsepower. I believe that the exhaust elbow on the Kohler (the cast iron elbow, NOT the exhaust pipe elbow) is a Kohler part and is not supplied by Simplicity. I do not know if the exhaust restriction will have an effect. Even though the 16 horse Kohler uses 1 1/4" pipe thread, The outlet of the elbow is machined to the same size as that of the smaller Kohler engines so the same exaust pipe is used by all. Pat

BLT
Pat go here and look at parts page. BT http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19721

IronPony
Pat, you are absolutely right, there is no nipple on the Kohler OEM parts list for the exhaust on a K341. What I had to do is make the 1" exhaust elbow for the K301 fit the 1 1/4" exhaust of the K341. I welded a 1 1/4" nipple on to the 1" threads of the K301 exhaust elbow. I knew I was necking down from 1 1/4" to 1" so I was concerned about engine heat and valve burning as a result of the restricted exhaust. Your post answered that concern and put it to rest. Thank You, Thank You. I am a happy camper (AC tractor owner):) Dan

HubbardRA
Dan, If this were more of a restriction, the only time you would have to worry is when running at full throttle for a long time. I very seldom use full throttle on the larger engines, so I wouldn't worry about the slight restriction.

IronPony
Well Gents, now I have found one on eBay[:0] I emailed the seller to make sure of the size and the response was "one and a quarter inch". I put a bid in on it. I just can't help feeling it is really a 1"xx( We will see - Dan 8/3/03 - - Got the exhaust elbow in the mail yesterday and guess what? It is the WRONG one - it is the 1" that fits the K301 and 321. It is in good shape if anyone needs one let me know and it is theirs for the shipping about $4.00.

JoeJ
Dan, I don't know if this will help, but!!!! My welder has a twin Kolher on it. The muffler is an application only one from Hobart, at $140 8 years ago. I looked into making my own and was told by a small engine tech that the back pressure was critical enough that he wouldn't be able to set the RMPs right. Now this was on a welder/generator, so that may be different. And it was on a twin cyl. Just a thought that I had this morning. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]