Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bruker

How much throttle do you use?

Bruker
I have a 16GTH that when I mow I always run it at full throttle. I figure that helps keep the blades running fast so they cut better. I think it also keeps the engine cooler as the flywheel/fan can move more air. What's everyone else do?

Brent_Baumer
I mow at full throttle. Here is what is recommended for a hydro tractor: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/speeds_hydro.htm and for a gear type: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/speeds_gear.htm Brent

jkmustang1
I mow the colection barn yard with Charlie's Ac410m second gear Full throttle on smooth ground. First gear full throttle on the rough ground shakes me and the tractor hard in second. And first gear full throttle in sofary wet/tall grass. Sofary grass has grown so much or is wet enough you can't see the ground or both. It was that way in a large part the other day I had to stop the machine and the blades and clear the discharge of softball size wads of wet grass twice. Charlie had me mow by the neighbors garden and barn. They don't mow that so Charlie had me do it to clean it up. Grass almost as high as the hood just put it in first tap the brake to slow ground speed to a crawl and went through it. No bog realy just pulled alittle harder. Cleared the deck when I saw that it was clogging. I was impressed how good it looked when done knowing what I did to get though it. And also how well the tractor handled it too.

a7117puller
when my dad and i mow with the 7117's(1-42", 1-48" decks), we lower the decks, bring the rpms way down to about 1/4throttle or less, enguage the pto, and bring the throttle back up to full. we go as fast as we think is reasonable for the thickness/tallness of the grass.

MDB
Full trottle all of the time....:D

HubbardRA
On the newer aluminum engines, they should be used at full throttle. On the older cast iron engines, you can vary the throttle as long as the engine is not allowed to lug down.

JP
Scotty..... We NEED MORE POWER!!!! Capin', I'm given 'er ALL SHE's GOT!!!! LOL........

Stoneheartfarm
quote:
Originally posted by jkmustang1
And first gear full throttle in sofary wet/tall grass. Sofary grass has grown so much or is wet enough you can't see the ground or both.
I mowed some of the field Sunday with my B210. The grass was hood tall. All I did was leave the deck all the way up and mowed in 2nd high range. Deck only bogged down twice and both times I was able to clear it by turning off the PTO and driveing the tractor over an area I had already mowed. Don't know how it would have worked with wet grass. Steve

HubbardRA
Jon, What does the M stand for in AC410M? I know that a 410S is a shuttle tranny. Just didn't know what an M was.

Agricola
I like to mow at top RPM. That should be maximum horsepower. I then vary the ground speed to suit the conditions. I wonder about the recommended engine speed on that page Brent said for the sicle mower. I think that should be around half throttle according to the literature I read for the mower.

MPH
Adam, that's a good practice to cut down to 1/4 gas when engaging the PTO, sure is easier on everything..MPH

jkmustang1
The tag reads 410m It's the standard 3 speed forward 1 reverse We will be using it to pull the ride along pull cart this weekend at the show. The lever on the shuttle get's in the way what a knee buster and it makes it tough to get to the pedal too. The allis we will have at the show are my B10 and Charlie's 410m , 410s , and his 616h Along with 6 of Charlie's cub cadet tractors both yellow and red

a7117puller
why would you want to mow a wet lawn? the combination of the acid in the grass and the moisture would chew your decks right up!

jkmustang1
Some times you don't have much of a choice. Weather and other things get in the way of waiting for another day. You can wait only so long. And in this case it was first blown out with high presure air. Then taken to and washed in a wand car wash. After to be cleaned for the show.

andy gartner
Say there, Interesting thought, moisture and acid in grass, rusting decks. Are some grasses more or less acid-never thought much about that, and whether grass was akaline or acid. Guess I should have cows. Thanks A

andy gartner
Acid in the grass?

simplicity707
I mow at half throttle. I'm afraid that the neighbors will complain if I mow at high throttle. The deck is somewhat noisy. Maybe I will start mowing in high throttle. I engage the blades at low throttle, engage the blades, then shift (so it won't grind as much), then speed it up.

KenK
On the newer simplicities with the electric pto clutch.It is recommended to engage mower at full throttle.The belt is designed to slip a little on engagement.If you would engage at low throttle your belt will probably snap in time.