Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Stalling Problem

For the last two snows we have had here in Wisconsin my Broadmoor 717 has died. It seems that I get about half way finished with the drive and the engine just dies. No backfire, spitting or anything. It will run fine up until it dies, then it will not start again until I let it sit for about 10 minutes. When it starts again it spitts and sputters and sometimes backfires 1 or 2 times. But it never runs the same until I let it get completely cold again or until the next day. In November I had taken the gas tank off and the jets and bowl/float and cleaned them all out with carb cleaner because this tractor had sit for who knows how long before I bought it.

Try looking at the valve system. Sometimes, after an engine becomes warmed up the expansion of dissimilar metals may cause the valve stems to seize in the guides. An easy repair is to disassemble, check for wear, and reassemble using anti-seize compound on the valve stems only.

I'm betting your problem is in the ignition,mainly the coil. When it gets hot it could be shorting out.That explains the backfiring when trying to re-start after it is still somewhat warm.Also the points AND spark plug should be checked/replaced as well. dlc

I have a Broadmoor model 717. A freind couldn't get it to run and was going to trash it so I took and after rebuilding the carb. found that it works fine. I also replaced the old points with a magnatronic conversion kit. Since then it started on the first pop until this fall when I had to start adding a little choke. My question is how is your handling the snow? I have a blade and chains, but no wheel weights. My driveway is partl down hill on a fairly steep grade and I'm wondering how well it handles in the snow. We haven't had any yet in St. Louis.

Check it quickly for spark when it does die out - that should help narrow it down. If that is the problem and it is an original points system yet - I also would recommend switching to the 398811 B&S solid state ignition armature. Jmcdo - I would acquire some weights if I were you. Traction will be your main problem.