Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Ground driven gang mowers.....

Anyone acutally use one? (or three). Twice in the last 5 years ive had a chance to buy this system. Whats the drawbacks? Whats the maintenence? How well do they work? Dougm

mowerman1193
I often wondered how well they work too.I have never seen any in person but they look to me like they would work very good..Hope to find one to buy and try out someday...

rokon2813
cant work too bad. around here may golf courses use them, but you have to mow a lot more often

dieselman
they will not mow tall grass verry well and ya dont want any sticks in the yard eather. also the faster ya go the better they work it seems like to me.

They seem to go for alot of money whenever ive seen them...How do they sharpen the blades i wonder? ..

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by DougM
They seem to go for alot of money whenever ive seen them...How do they sharpen the blades i wonder? ..
Try this place. it'll give you an idea how. http://www.reelmowersetc.com/SK-1.htm

MPH
I've always understood they do the nicest job of mowing because they 'cut' the grass instead of whipping it. Easies on the grass when cutting real short,thats why thats what you normally see on golf greens and baseball infield. only one I ever used had to push and a rock in it puts the handlebar right in your gut. My yard, not a chance..MPH

Thanks BLT! We had one laying around when i was a kid...sure seemed like a lot more work...course the rusty blades might have made it tough..... THere must be a point in which you cant go anyfaster like an old side rake for raking hay..the gears cant keep up with the ground...oh well just thought id try to find an active gang mower user and get an earfull....thanks fellas