Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

Is it stealing???

thedaddycat
I guess I get off on a technicality since I paid $20 for this 3210 V with the 46" HD dozer blade, 42" mower deck, and single bottom plow.....

This neat sleeve hitch offsets the plow so the force vector is directly in line with the attachment point on the right side. Flipped, it would change the mounting height and line it up to the left side...

It's missing side panels but everything else seems to be there. Home made kid adaptor on the brake is an old sledge handle.

Tom_Byrne
Now THAT'S a find!That blade is probably worth $200. Garage sale find?

rokon2813
I'll double your money for you......

mbrook
You should be disgusted with yourself. You took advantage of someone else and they didn't even know it. Nice find and good job!

thedaddycat
I didn't take advantage of anyone. I ran an ad for "Dead and Dying" tractors a month or two ago. This guy tore it out and saved it. He even called me up to tell me about it. I asked him if he just wanted someone to come haul it away. He said "Well the plow's worth at least $20" and I said OK! I get there, he tells me he does landscaping and also some clean up and debris hauling and if he comes across anything else he'll call me. This is almost like finding a vein of gold ore in the mine...........

MPH
Pretty thick vein of gold. Might have to get a backhoe to keep mining that one..

pacodiablo
Wow, nice find! Are you going to attempt a restoration?

gregc
Well, if the other guy was happy.... Bet I know who is happier.:D:D:D

gregc
Could I borrow your charm next month?;)

Karl_Brandt
Now that is a deal.8D:D The steering wheel even has the cap in it,some of my tractors are missing this cap.;) Karl

thedaddycat
We'll have to see what shakes out. In the meantime the dozer and moldboard plows are listed on eBay so I can replenish the tractor fund...... I have to check my pile, I'm sure I have a repaired/modified lift rod somewhere and maybe a bracket too. If I find them I'll update the auction to include them. Someone might be looking for skid shoes soon.....

thedaddycat
I fiddled with it tonight, pulled the carb just to look at it. It was fairly clean so I remounted it. BTW, this is the short intake manifold version of the Briggs C.I. single 10 horse. If this one had a data plate attached to the shroud it's gone... Pulled plug.... plug hole in head has been Heil-Coiled. Put spare battery in and tried to crank, had spark. Put plug back in and it cranked right over!!! Hooked up test gas tank, opened valve, pulled choke and a little throttle..... rrrrr---- rrrrrr---- rrrrrr---- VVVVVVRRRRRROOOMMMMMMM!!!!!! Mice have been inside the shrouds some time in the past.... but it ran and drove around the yard in all gears!!! The S/G adjustment bracket on top(slotted one) is missing and the front bolt that holds the lower bracket to the engine block appears to be snapped off. This makes the S/G pivot around the rear bracket bolt, twisting the pulley in relation to the engine pulley and making the S/G puley nut rub on the tractor tin..... So... a little mechanical work and it's a running, working tractor again.

pacodiablo
Wow, not bad for $20!!!

Boney
WOWSA what a find !!! What do you do when someone calls you to remove a tractor/mower and it is not one that you want ? Nice work. Hey if you dont live in Western Mass, do you mind if I use your advertisement ?

thedaddycat
It's a free country, I'm not doing what others haven't done before..... There are several here who run these kinds of ads. Do a search and you'll find a lot about it........

Chris727
I wish I could find a 46 HD blade, my 42 snow blade is OK for grading but I seem to hit a lot of small stumps, clods of dirt, etc, that want to bring the front of the tractor up, I'm afraid I'll damage something. You got a great find there! -Chris

MDB
Now that is what I call a real good haul....^, Good for you Kirk^8D

Next I expect we will hear that people are PAYING you to haul them away! JEEEEEEZOPETE[:0]:D

simplicity707
WOW, what an excellent deal. Last year at my Simplicity dealer, they had one that was in bad shape, didn't run at all, they wanted $400.00 for it. It sat there from last July to January!! Good deal.

pacodiablo
quote:
Originally posted by simplicity707
WOW, what an excellent deal. Last year at my Simplicity dealer, they had one that was in bad shape, didn't run at all, they wanted $400.00 for it. It sat there from last July to January!! Good deal.
That is the one thing I don't like about the independant dealers...they price used equipment for WAY more than it is worth.

UCD
pacodiablo Its called makeing a liveing. "Oh" I forgot you haven't got to that point yet. Life is a bowl of cherries. if you were that dealer you would be asking the same hopeing maybe to get offered $200.00. And something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. maybe not to you but to someone else it is. "Oh" and I forgot again you are the expert on everything so you must know what everything is worth.

pacodiablo
So you would pay $400 for something that doesn't run? Some of us don't have that kind of money to spend. If I was the expert I would not have paid as much as I did for the POS tractor I have.

thedaddycat
paco, you need to look at it with a little more depth of perspective..... I paid almost $600 for a 3416 H with a blown engine. Why? It has a set of hub caps, also a 36" blower and 48" deck both of which are in outstanding shape. Power lift, rear lift, and complete mechanical front PTO assembly. Was it worth it? To me it was... On the other hand, I also just paid $20 for a 3210 V that runs fine. I extracted that broken bolt for the S/G bracket and took the adjustment bracket off the blown engine from the 3416. The clutch/brake may need a little adjustment but it runs and drives fine. I put the mower deck on and it works too. I'll have to sharpen and balance the blades and check it again. Was this tractor and the implements worth only $20? To the seller it was, even though the dozer blade has a bid for $100 on it already...

andy gartner
Worth is always a tough call. Bought a black frame '87 4208G 5-speed last month, for $200. It didn't run, but was close to kicking off, just before flooding/smoking. Thought it might have a blown engine. Bought it for a backup deck, and other parts for a 4111. Al Eden's article on "carb fixes" and 12 hours of cleaning, tuning, lube, oil, grease, deck leveling, and undoing previous owner backward 'fixes,'... and I've got the best running/newest looking tractor in my brood. Was it worth it? Twelve hours is the big question? What did that really cost me? Here's where the fun mental rationalizing comes in... Me? Heck yes, it was worth it! What were these things new $1600-2400?? Comparable cost new now? $2000-3000??? Should have a lot of years left in'er. But most of all... I get a big, happy, satisfying smile, everytime I hit the starter and she kicks off. How do you measure pleasure and satisfaction?

UCD
Paco Yes some people don't have that kind of money but that is no reason to knock dealers and others on their selling prices. Dealers know what they can get for the parts and ask a comparable price for the complete unit. The dealer here has my old 7016 back with a blown engine he wants $400 for it. Is it worth it yes as the rest of the tractor is in good shape and he could part it out and get $400 for it, maybe more. As for your POS MTD as you might recall You were advised against buying it not because it was an MTD but because of the shape You said it was in. You were also advised that the price was to much for the condition. Did you listen NO. You have gotten some good advice From very fine people on here. Do you listen no you argue. Paco knows all. You asked what was with my attitude with you and I am telling you. Others have left subtle hints but you don't take them. I think others feel the same way but don't tell you. You want a good running tractor save your money don't spend it on junk trying to fix it up and when your are done it is not worth any more than you paid for it. Put your money into something that is going to be worth something when its done.