Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Paint & Decals

Dutch
Many of us languish over using the exact correct color and shade paint on our tractors. Some of us hunt for exact replacement decals. Think about this…………. At some point in time, Simplicity decided to use orange paint (why?). When Allis bought Simplicity, they decided to paint the B-series yellow, then decided on orange starting with the 700 series (why?). The Deutz people chose green (why?). When Wards wanted brown, and Homelite wanted blue, and JC Penney wanted yellow, Simplicity said “Sure” (why to all). Now, let’s look at automobiles. Many different colors are offered by the factory, and if you want a special paint, or can get that too. How about large trucks? Basic colors are offered, and buyers usually customize them. Factories will paint any truck any color. Hertz and Ryder dictates what color the factory paints their trucks. Many large companies repaint all their trucks and equipment their corporate colors. So what is it with us? Why do most of us let a decision made by a unknown person, for an unknown reason 30 years ago dictate what color our tractors should be, and what decals and trim are displayed?

jkmustang1
Some classic designs never go out of style. It's just like other restoration and rebuilding hobbies. Some go stock some custom and some do what's called restomod that is easy to return to stock if wanted. My dream car is a 69 mach1 but it will have a certain aftermarket rim on the wheels and glasspack dual pipes. Things that could be changed back to stock with out alot of trouble. So it's your choice and your tractor enjoy it and make it to suit you if you want.

MadMike
My opinion, not that anyone really wants it, is that many of us search for the exact color because that's what Simplicity choose to use. I guess it doesn't really matter why they decided to go with that certain shade of orange, there may be a very interesting reason for all we know. I remember a few months back seeing a special about the new Harley V-Rod. It took them over a year to decide on that name. Lucky for me, Orange is one of my favorite colors. I wonder if that's because of Simplicity and the law here in Michigan stating that I need to wear orange when hunting? MadMike

srwven
Probably for the same reason people will pay three times the amount for an oem fender for their 69 camaro as opposed to aftermarket. They can still say "it's all original".

pacodiablo
If you are going to restore a tractor like many here do, you want it to look just like it did when it left the factory.

gregc
Painting a tractor the exact color of the original is not that important to me. I do like orange though. I think a Big Ten in Persian Orange would look great. Having the correct decals does not always suit me either. I don't really like a stripe on the top of the hood. Most important to me is that everything on the tractor operates as it should.

MDB
AC used at least 3 shades of yellow over the course of the B series I chose to paint the Bs that I restore the shade that most closely matchs the B110-B112 models. True my B1 and B10 aren't painted the correct shade of yellow but I don't want to keep two or three shades of yellow around, besides I like the shade of yellow that I use....;):D

Brent_Baumer
I was very particular about matching the color on the first couple of tractors I painted. Then I decided that the factory color might not always be the best choice: Factory color: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/Brent_Baumer/deutz.jpg[/img] My choice: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/Brent_Baumer/HB916_1.jpg[/img]

pacodiablo
That second tractor looks great, especially with the ag tires in the rear.

Nubian
Brent! you should be prosecuted for defacing a CLASSIC! just kidding.......... Did AC make a copy of the Deutz-Allis? Seriously is there a twin for either? Eddy

MikeES
Eddy, don't quite understand what you mean by copy or twin? Brents tractor is a 916. Depending on the year it was either orange (Allis-Chalmers) or green (Deutz-Allis). It went back orange again as Agco-Allis.

Brent_Baumer
Mike S. is correct. The AC900 series was orange until purchased by Deutz, around 1987???, then they were green for a few years, then back to orange when they became Agco. This is the same tractor as the Simplicity 7116. I got sick of the green, and already have an orange one, so I thought - why not? Brent

Dutch
Brent, You were one of the guys I was thinking about when I started this topic. I admire your courage to repaint your green Deutz yellow. I like yellow. I think the JC Penney version looks great. I think your yellow Deutz looks great. I think the B-series decals look great.

HubbardRA
A good looking paint job is in the eye of the beholder. If he likes it, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I have two with custom paint jobs and my newest rebuild is nearly the factory color, and will have my own decal design because I don't like the factory design. I have these tractors because they please me, not to please someone else. I'd rather find a machine that was preserved by painting it some non-standard color, than to see one rust to pieces with the original paint job.

Agricola
I really wonder if some of these tractors are even better than they were when they came from the factory. With the care and effort some people put into their work. The gloss of the paint, and so on. I think they might be a touch too nice. If that is even possible. But I hope people keep rebuilding, painting etc. It keeps makes history part of the present. INHO

Kent
I have a slightly different standard for my "spray can specials" on my working tractors... not too concerned if it is the original paint shade, not too concerned with whether this option/accessory was available on this model, etc. As long as it works to do the job that I'm doing, and I don't mind being seen using it then there's no problem... that's why I'm still using a rusty red mower deck on a yellow tractor!

rokon2813
I agree with everyone else. Unless your trying to restore to original the only one who has to like the color. Also i feel the same way as Kent. All that is required is that it does the job that needs doing. My motto; "Paint don't make it run no better"

andy gartner
Agree with all points made, There are some classic models, as used in the site logo, that are easily identifyable and 'home runs' looks wise. Like Kris' 1964 Landlord, just a gorgeous looker. Or maybe a B110/210/700 etc. All personal, all fun to see what people do w/them. Luckily, there's still that freedom.