Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cold weather problems

richp

It seems that when I use my 64 landlord in temps below 10 degrees it runs fine for about ten minutes and then slowly starts to run choppy, almost like it's loading up. I run high octane Mobil and I don't think there is any water in the gas? Will dry gas hurt the motor any. If run in warmer temps it runs fine. How about air mixture in the colder weather? Any help . Rich P.

There may not be ice in the carb, but it could be the cold air is causing the fuel to form back into drops, wihich don't ignite as well as the normal fog that travels through the manifold. This is called "cold wall condensation," since it happens frequently on cold engines. In any case, the sheet metal baffle will solve the problem. The extra heat keeps the fuel/air mixture atomized, so it ignites easier.

You've got carb. throttle plate icing problems! It comes from the below 32degree temps.with high humidity in the air It turns to ice when contacting the throttle plate.Because in the carb. you have a high /low press situation around the throttle JUST LIKE AN AC UNIT! and what does that do?? Same principle.Yes dry gas will help and WON'T hurt the eng. at all.Also Briggs made a winter shield for the eng. ducting some muffler heat to go around the carb. You could make one of those and your problems would be over! dlc

Khtsr, You have my sympathy. The last winter I spent in Michigan was in Big Rapids at school. It was -30° a few weeks, warmed up to -20° for a week or so, and then we had a heat wave of 0°. That was about 38 years ago. Tennessee is wonderful. Roy

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem on my 7200 series with a Kohler engine 18hp. I installed the unit that routes the warm air from the exhaust to the air cleaner housing and run a thinner viscosity oil in cold weather. What a big difference! No more fouling plugs, runs smooth, and no black exhaust smoke. Now I can plow the whole street with it. That is if i can get to it before the neighbors do. Running good in Michigan.