Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dogboy

mower deck lubrication

dogboy
i'm pretty much finished fixing up my 64 broadmoor, so now i'm ready to tackle the mower deck . its in nice shape, but i don't see any way to lube the blade arbors- do they need it? are the bearings sealed? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank.

IronPony
Darn! Can't wait to read the posts in reply to this question. My AC 42" deck brings up the same question - how do you lub it???? Dan

BLT
They came both ways. Double shielded with no zerks in arbors and single shielded with zerks in the arbor. When I have done arbor maintence (bearings), on the arbors with no zerks, I have drilled and tapped in grease zerks and put in single shielded bearings. Now each year I can give each arbor a few shots of grease every year or more as I see fit. First mower deck was ten years ago and bearings still sound pretty good. The ones with no zerks, well when the bearings start to squeal, it's maintence time, 'cause there's no more grease in them. Dan I have some seat latches I can get for your 700 if you have the time. My cousin (NE Illinois) bought a 712-S less engine and deck for the BGB and the stuff is laying in a pile and I know there are two as I helped him reduce the carcass (no torching) to reasoanble rubble to get BGB. Let me know by E-mail if you are interested. Funny, he shot his BGB gears last year on his 718 and when he got the price of the replacement BGB gears he was about to scrap out the tractor. Last week when I was visiting him annd while bumming the local countryside, I spotted something in the tall grass (farmers junk pile) about seven miles from his house, 712-S checked out BGB, he bought it cheap and 718 might be running tomorrow.