Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplicity707

guess i'm not meant to mow the lawn

simplicity707
hey guys,,have some bad news. This evening, we got the original deck of my Yeoman unstuck and working. I greased it up and thought I try it and see if it worked. Well, it turned out it was quieter than the Broadmoor deck which I was excited, my first quiet deck!! So, I thought I would let it run with the deck engaged on the asphalt, well, I was on the tractor with it running, and I looked on the right hand side and out of the corner of my eye, there was thick, white smoke coming from the left side. I quickly tired to turn it off, but it stopped on it's own. If it didn't stop i'll bet it would have caught fire. Well then, the engine would not turn over with the pto engaged. It turns out, the far left pullet is FROZEN SOLID:(!:(!. Does anybody know what it takes to get bearings and how to install them? I've been dreading this, but I have four decks and they ALL need bearings:( and if I want to use a rider, i'll have to replace the bearings. I can use the Broadmoor deck, but it's so noisy i'm afraid the neighbors will start complaining. Oh, I can't winxx(. That was my evening. Thanx,,

thedaddycat
Have you sharpened and more importantly balanced the blades? If they're out it will be suprising how much difference it makes. As far as changing bearings goes, the manual says they just "tap right out"...... LOL

BLT
If the shafts are not to rusty you can probably drive them out with a brass punch. Note be sure you proctect the thread of the shaft from damage. The bearings will drive out with a longer punch. I normally get Fafnir P204RR6 bearings. These are double shielded and because I have grease zerks in all my arbors, I remove the seal on the bearing facing the zerk and then install the bearings. You then put things together in the reverse order that you took them apart and you're ready to go. If the shafts are stubborn, you may need the assistance of a hydraulic press to get them out.

Vinnie_A
Save your self alot of aggrevation.Buy the new bearings and bring them to someone with a press.Stay ther and note in which order the spindles come apart and replace them the same way.This should be a twenty minute operation which is well worth the few bucks you might have to pay.