Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Agricola

700 is running

Agricola
A few months ago I became the proud owner of a 700 with a mounted sicle mower. The machine has its share of rust. When I picked it up, the hood and various other parts were not connected. I tried to fire it up but the battery was dead and would not take a charge. I swapped it with a 4 year old I had for another machine. The starter/generator was a slow turning machine. I had a "rebuilt" one I picked up on Ebay so in that went. Ooops, I guess rebuilt means a fresh coat of blue paint, it was worse than my original. So I cobbled two to make one good one. Cleaned the points, removed the mouse nest, cleaned the carb and replaced the blown head gasket.(another piece that was a bit tough to get. I finally found 2 for the price a guy wanted to charge for one)! A clean fuel bowl, a bit of gas down the carb and off she ran. Since the plastic throttle was cracked, I only had one engine speed but I got to take it for a spin and even tried the sicle but it threw a belt and I parked it for the night. [img]/club2/attach/agricola/sideviewA.jpg[/img] Next day I check on the charging. The wiring was [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img] so I was ready to redo that part but thought I should check the regulator. Hmmmmm. [img]/club2/attach/agricola/RegulatorA.jpg[/img] OK so I have to get a new one of those. I epoxied the throttle control, cranked her over and she did start again and since the belt was back on the sicle I tried that again. Off flew the belt. I wonder if a pulley that has a spot on it where the sides of the pulley has been smashed closed could be a problem. I should have taken a picture of that. The pulley is all rebanged in it's proper shape and tomorrow we try to do some cutting.

MPH
Which belt are you throwing?? That setup doesn't look like it was made for the tractor, from the angle of the pic it looks like the belt from the pto to the mower is using the pulley that should have the belt to the BGB on it. Maybe I just need my second cup of coffee.Sounds like your makin progress anyway.MPH

Agricola
The belt that it was throwing was in the mower itself. It is from the angle drive to the pitman gearbox. The reason for throwing the belt was a dented pulley. I don't know how they dented it but I have gotten it pretty straight. Otherwise I will replace it. I think it will be an off the shelf item. Thanks for the reply