Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MikeES

Slow Reverse Vickers

MikeES
I know this subject has come up before. I have tried a search, but as usual I get no matches. I have a 3415H with a Vickers that backs up very slow when trying to back up hill (even a very slight hill). It works great on the flat. The belt is not slipping, the valves have been pulled and checked. No problems in forward. Any ideas, or maybe someone can get me the links to past discussions. Thanks. Mike

HubbardRA
On my susnstrand one of the freewheel valves controls forward and one controls reverse. Your reverse valve may not be completely sealing, and thus not letting full pressure develop. You can check this by reversing the location of the two valves. No change-both valves are good, slow forward after change-bad freeweeling valve. I had one on my Sunstrand hydro that wouldn't work after pulling the plunger up. I removed the valve and used a small nail through the hole in the very end of the valve and hammer to re-seat the valve in the closed position. Works fine now.

MikeES
This is a Vickers Hydro, and it does not have the freewheeling valves on it. It has a pair of relief valves but one is the main relief and the other the the soft ride valve. They are not interchangable. Any other ideas? Thanks. Mike.

Charlieson
Mine does the same thing. Works fine otherwise. Almost has to be a pressue issue. I have a 3416H with the vickers. I changed the filter and fluid, but that didnt solve the issue. I just figured it was the nature of the beast. ddh

simtrac
I have a 3410H with the Vickers,and I to had the slow reverse problem with mine,all I did was adjust my shift linkage under the seat,to move the shift rod a "tad" further in the reverse position,granted,my neutral position is now a "tad" off,but my Reverse works great,on the flat,and uphill. "Simtrac"

fomoco390
Also, you may replace the spring pin (roll pin) that attaches the linkage to the transmission shaft. They can wear, allowing the linkage to be less effective.