Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pacodiablo

Gaskets...

pacodiablo
Is the gasket material that comes in a tube a suitable replacement for paper gasket material? I have paper gasket material, but getting the proper holes and shapes isn't something I am very good at and I was hoping to switch over to the gasket material that comes in a tube.

KSever
It's easier to buy the gasket kit or just buy the gasket you need. They are cheap and well worth the investment. Saves on leaks and also saves the neighbors from learning new words that come out of your garage when you find out it still leaks when you tried to go the easiest way. I always use both paper gasket and sealant in a tube just to know I'm not doing that gasket again. Just my two cents

rokon2813
I wouldnt use it exlusively but it makes a good supplement or helps paper gaskets seal better. The best way to make your own gaskets that I know of is lay the material over the surface where the gasket goes and tap all around lightly with the round side of a ball peen hammer. Leaves a perfect outline to cut on. Be sure to tap in the center of each bolt hole to get those perfect too. Just dont tap hard enough to damage the mating surface.

pacodiablo
Thanks for the tips. I looked for replacement gaskets for this particualar engine and did not find them.