Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplejim

is it a 3416?

simplejim
heres a brainteaser for you. i bought a tractor a few weeks ago that i think may be a 3416s but i dont know how to tell for sure. someone repainted the whole tractor red and they done a pretty good job even got rid of the decals.[ they did leave the running boards the original color of black ].i bought it without an engine or wheels and part of the i d tag is torn off so all i can make out on the tag is 87. i think it should read 872. its a shuttle shift and where the red paint is flaking off it is more orange in color.it looks like the ones from 1971-1974 in the brochures area of this site. any ideas?

IronPony
Pictures would really help - - - - -

simplejim
i know......i really gotta figure out how to put them on here.i keep saying im going to do that.

Brent_Baumer
According to this chart: http://www.simpletractors.com/X-reference/s_ac_pg2.htm A 990872 is indeed a 3416S. Brent

simplejim
thanks Brent,looks like the 3416 was the only model to use 99087x model numbers.now the hunt for an engine begins.on another note i put a set of 10.50 wide turf tires and wheels off a JD212 on the tractor and the one on the mower clutch side rubs the clutch even with the wheels turned out.

thedaddycat
I just posted this as a reply to a different post, but Small Engine Warehouse has Briggs 16 horse CI singles for $800-900 plus shipping.

Kent
Jim, I have a similar problem. I bought a pair of wheels for 10.50's off an unknown brand and they rub the cone clutch... so they're sitting here for the next show/swap meet... The wheels must have the correct offset to clear everything....

MPH
The amount of reverse dish is different for different tractors. The ones off a Gilson don't work well on a B112 either. If you poke a tape against the center of the rim, eyeball down, or use a straightedge across the rim outter edge you can check the amount of dish..MPH

simplejim
thanks,daddycat i'll keep that in mind if i cant find anything around home.Kent,MPH,i guess i just assumed that backspacing wouldnt be an issue with garden tractor wheels.i know better now.