Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

Proposed Modification, but what would it be?

thedaddycat
I know that sometimes we lovingly restore to "Factory New", sometimes we update and improve, and sometimes we just make 'em work and run 'em... Recently I have amassed a few tractors and in order to get more of them running I'm going to do some swapping around of major components. I have the 3416 H with a blown engine and the 3310 H with the bad hydro/tranny. Both use the Vickers unit and share most other components. The big difference is the cone clutch for the center PTO on the newer 3416. Now here's the tricky point.... If I drop the 3310 engine into the 3416 frame will it be an updated 3310 H or a downpowered 3416 H??? A simple hood swap will make the tin right for either one... Along those lines, what's a good ballpark price to rebuild that Briggs 16 cast iron single, new rod and piston and probably crank ground and new bearing for the rod. The old rod was snapped off pretty good, though I have yet to open up the engine and look at it.

Kent
There was a 3410H... but, be aware that the hydro will "rob" about 2HP or so from the 10 you start with.... Based on my experience, it'd run a 42" deck in normal cutting, but that's about all it wants. Mine would stay on governor most of the time when I was using the vac on a 42" deck. The 16hp transplant made a BIG difference. The 16hp drives the 48" deck better than the 10hp did the 42"... the only time the governor kicks in is when I'm using the vac cart AND climbing a hill at the same time.

BLT
My guess for parts on the 16HP would go for about $150 - $200, not counting boring and crank grinding if required. Maybe when you open it up you can polish down crank to get aluminum flecks off. I have done that once or twice with some success. I have rebuilt my 7010 twice and so far everything is still standard, last time being piston and chrome ring set. I try as long as I can to keep everything standard. It's ahrd to find people around here who can grind cranks RIGHT and do boring.

thedaddycat
There's a local guy, must be about a sixty or so.... I stop by his shop before I go to the dump and offer him any steel rod or whatever I have if he wants it for stock. He loves it, says if you go to the yard they will only sell 20' even if you need 3".... I'll take it to him and see what he says for boring and grinding. He knows his stuff in a machine shop and will treat me right.

Terry9
I had a 3416, the added horsepower is awesome from a single Briggs.

MikeES
2 years ago: 16hp B&S from a 3416, new piston, rings, bored, new exhaust valve, crank ground, head planed, valves set, reassembled. = $340 at an automotive engine rebuilt shop.

patrician12
Small Engine Warehouse has just made of discovery of some brand new 16hp single cylinder briggs at a good price.I did the same conversion in my 912 and it has worked now 6 years without a stitch of trouble.More than I can say for the original Kohler.

thedaddycat
I looked on the SEW site and they have two types of 16 hp Briggs CI single engine, listed below. They are $800 and $875 plus shipping.... I don't know the difference between the -THD engine and the non-THD engine, but the -THD version is $75 less. 326431 16 HP Horizontal Cast Iron 1" Keyed shaft, works great on most Simplicity, AC tractors VERY FEW OF THESE LEFT AROUND! $875.00 $49.95 - $189.95 326431-THD 16 HP Horizontal Cast Iron 1" threaded shaft, works great on most Simplicity, AC tractors VERY FEW OF THESE LEFT AROUND! $800.00 $49.95 - $189.95

UCD
1" Keyed shaft 1" threaded shaft THD= threaded

thedaddycat
Thanks Maynard, I hope I wasn't the only one not to figure that one out..... :I

KSever
That sure is a nice lookin engine there Kirk [img]http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/images/pics/326431.jpg[/img]

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
1" Keyed shaft 1" threaded shaft THD= threaded
The threaded shaft is generally used for water pump amd generator applications. It has no key slot and the end is not tapped for front PTO attchment parts.

patrician12
A friend of mine in the equipment rental business told me years ago that you kill a 16hp Briggs.What's intersting when I read the Briggs shop manual and parts book I believe it is an engine all to its own even though the 28000 and 30000 look alike.

Charlieson
what do you mean kill?

Ryan
I had right at $400.00 in my 10hp engine. News piston, rings, exhaust valve and guide, rod, ground crank, set vavles, refaced head, allembly and when I put it in the tractor I could not start it. I had to take it back to the machine shop and he started it and set the governor and jets. This price also included a new megatron ignition.

Ryan
Oh, I forgot. They also rebuilt the carb. They replaced the thottle shaft bushings and throttle.

HubbardRA
Kirk, I am running a 10 Hp B/S on my AC716H chassis with a 48 inch mower. With the hydro, I just slow down to match the length of the grass. I know the bigger engine would mow faster if I had it, but the 10 Hp does the job just fine.