Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
IronPony

AC712 now an AC716

IronPony
Well, finally got the project done. Re-powered my AC712S with a Kohler K341. Had to trade flywheels to get a stator because the K341 did not have one. Now she is running great. All that is left is to adjust the governor. Engine seems to want to run away. Dan

BLT
Dan your governor arm is not in sync with the carb. The adjustment is with the engine stopped at WOT on carb the governor lever should bottom on wheight spool so when you start engine the governor wheights instantly take control of engine speed. Should be in your Kohler repair manual

IronPony
I did what the book calls the "initial governor adjustment" and she is running like new. Cut half an acre of grass in third gear at almost full throttle and what a grand old lady she is!! :) Dan

HubbardRA
Glad to see you got it working. My AC716H has a B/S 10 Hp on it, and my 61 Wards has a 14 Hp Kohler on it. Both work great. Engine swaps usually are not extremely difficult. I even had a Cub Cadet engine on my Wards at one time. That took a little more time to hook up.