Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
John_RI

axle tube failure

John_RI
I hoped I would never have to deal with this problem - but - I guess I will! I was mowing around my mail box the other day when the tractor just sort of stopped moving. I checked to see that the drive belt was still there & it was. I soon realized that I had the dreaded axle tube failure. It's a 2012 and I'm wondering what's involved with fixing it. Also, I have a transmission from a 725 (has some problems) and wonder if the axle tube from it might fit the 2012.

Terry9
John, I would think it would. Which side axle tube?

KenK
I think the 725 axel would work but the left side is a lot shorter.The axel tube on the left comes even with the tranny case on a 725.On the 2012 the axel sticks out about 5 or 6 inches from the case.

MikeES
John, what is involved: New axle tube (around $100) all new keys for the axle assembly. You may want to consider new seals in transaxle while your at it. Total disassemly of transaxle, suggest you get a copy of repair manual.

John_RI
The failure occured on the right side where it connects to the differential. If I could use the axle & tube from the 725 that would be great. MikeES, are you talking about a repair manual that is available online from Simplicity. I have a parts list but expect I would need more for this project. The thought of opening the transmission case scares the heck out of me! Thanks for the help.

gregc
John, Here's the link to the Large Frame Garden Tractors Service and Repair Manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_973_01_SV_SMA.pdf It's a 15 part download. This should be what you need.

dogboy
Hi john, if you need any local help with your tractor let me know, i just joined the club, but a friend has been a member /owner for some time,i'm learning ,he has some really nice machines and knows them, were both ex-pro, mechanics, so if either of us can be of any help, just e-mail me at -- cottage14@ aol.

John_RI
Thanks Greg. That looks like what I'll need. Michael, nice to know there are 'others' around. I expect I'll pull both transmissions apart and see if the parts from one will fit into the other. Will let you know if I get stuck, Thanks.