Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MoAC610

AC 610 True story

MoAC610
Hey everyone I am a new member here (about a month) My Nephew has a Small engine repair business here in St Louis, and I occasionally help out when he needs me. I am a Diesel Mechanic by trade (retired). Well one day we are sitting in the shopboth with our heads stuck in two different tractors when we notice a pickup pull up out front. The next thing we notice is the guy sets out ramps and rolls off a tractor. He then proceeds to put the ramps back and pull out a snow plow.He closes the gate and looks at both of us and says Have Great day gets in and drives away. Well we both walk out and here sits a complete AC 610 in good condition (minus the key ) so we get a key turn it and it starts the blades engage and it even drives WOW cool. Ok so now we think is it stolen or what or did the guy get a new Plastic and Aluminmu department store tractor. A couple of days pass and it sitting in the storage area and a long time customer comes in and says my neighbor got a new tractor and wants to know if you want to old one for parts or scrap. So i say what kind is it He says AC 610 I ask him to look at the one that was dropped off. He looks and says yup thats it (even better) So i ask my nephew what are you going to do with it he says SCRAP! I say No WAy I'll take it. Well it now sits in my Garage. It was Built in 1976 and both the deck and frame ID plates are intake and can be read clearly. Currently I am in the process or restoring it I have just finished Sandblasting the Main frame I could not get the exact color but I came up with an Orange color that is relatively close Popsicle Orange. The deck is a 42 inch cut but all 3 splindles need new bearings which i acquired from a speciality supply house. The engine is all original crankshaft, valves,and camshaft wear is minimal I replaced all the seals and gaskets. The Alternator is new and so is the Coil (switched to magnetron). And the carbuerator has been over- hauled. I would like to get new decals for the engine But the Briggs decal changed a long time ago also the Allis Chalmers engine cover decals. Neither one was salvageable. The one on the grill is in good condition so i taped it off before blasting and painting. I must also add before i disassembled the tractor i did manage to cut 3, 2acre lots wanted to try it out. Well if everything goes as planned it will back and cutting in 2 weeks. I would like to post some pictures when it's all done. By the way my wife thinks I am crazy everytime she looks at it she shakes her head and says you should of bought a new one. My answer they dont make them like this anymore. Any other AC610 owners out there? Hope to hear from some

FrankieC
Now that's a good story! Glad you found this site, and let me be the first to welcome you.

Tacey
Hi MoAC610 & welcome. I had to pay $300. for my tractor, which is slightly newer (built circa 1978) but is a smaller & cheaper model (Simplicity 6011 Broadmoor II)than yours. My wife thought I was a bit 'off-center' for not buying a new plastic riding mower like 'most everyone else in the neighborhood, but with 2 kids in college, I thought I'd try a used machine. The result? Our yard is the most attractive. The cut quality is head & shoulders above the rest. I even do a stripe pattern, just like a country club fairway. I am now looking for another good used tractor (Simplicity/AC for sure) so that I have a backup. I use the tractor in the winter to throw/plow snow, so having 2 is a must ;). Good luck with your new tractor! Tacey

MoAC610
Thanks for the replies didnt think id get any. I also have a plow for mine but it has a Sear ( ACK!!!) Id tag on it. I have yet to try and mount it to the tractor Looking thru the reference and Picture pages It looks nothing like the real Allis plow that should be on it But i was told it will bolt to it, I might take the plow and manufacture my own plow bolting assy using the Manual picture i have been anle to find. Will keep posted and hopefully some pics to follow.

JoeJ
Howdy and Welcome!! Tis a great story, but also shows "Your Hooked" already. You will find these tractors following you home now. You'll need to build first sheds then large barns just to keep them under cover. So far there is no known cure!!(but then who wants one) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Tom_Byrne
Welcome to the club and congrats on a great free find- I'm jealous!;) If you want to find the correct paint, try Allis Chalmers Orange Implememnt paint from your local Ace Hardware. I painted my 2010 with it and it's as close to a dead on match as I have found. It's a little tough to work with (long drying time, runs if you are not careful use three coats) but the results are great. Good luck!:Dhttp://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17226

Brent_Baumer
So many good deals and steals lately we need a new forum. Each entry would start like this: Dear SimpletrACtors, I never thought those letters were really true until...........

WNC
MoAC610....Welcome to the club and congrats on finding a grate club. Now that the bug has bitten,watch out ;)

rokon2813
Just title the new forum the old truckers line; " You ain't gonna believe this but..."

Tom_Byrne
Almost like the Penthouse Forum,:I[:0]:D

dogboy
Hi, i'm new here too, just finishing up a 64 broadmoor, i used the paint that tom byrne recommends, its made by rustoleum,looks brand new, even the wife is sort of impressed, to convince her this was a good project i took her to home depot and showed her Deere's, the price difference did a lot of convincing, i'm into this little thing for about $125- i don't have anything to mow , but i should have a couple of greatful neighbors.

JoeJ
:D:D:D Hey Tom, Michael is hooked too!!;) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

MoAC610
New question Has anyone tried to change headlights over to these new blue light driving lights ? If so any problems I have originals but dont want to use them they are in delicate condition rusted thin. Also is there a way to get measured drawings of the snow plow mounting assy? I am trying to make the Sears ACK!! plow work, better to do now then when snow is on ground. Any info would be helpful thanks I can solve one problem get rid of sears junk and locate one that would work with out modifications. Anyone have one laying around that i could buy ? Yeah right they are like gold i am sure.

MPH
There are a lot of drawings on here in reference to the snowplow hitches, a search should turn you up something. Not sure about the sears blade but I know the JD blades I've seen are a lot flatter, thus don't roll the snow as well. Figured that out after several phone talks with my jd loving brother as to why I could plow snow he thought I didn't have a chance at. Snow blades seem to sell quite often and resonable around here. Think they were commonly bought new and not used that much..MPH