Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DavidG

Hydraulic Lift...an option worth having?

DavidG
While on a recent trip up north, I tracked down a guy that had a part I needed for my B-10. While we were in the barn getting the part I wanted , he showed me a brand new , in the box, hydraulic lift he had purchased many years ago for his B-10 but never installed it and he wanted to know if I was interested in buying it. I really wasn't looking for one, but couldn't pass it up considering the price he was asking.:D I would like to hear from anyone that has one of these on thier machine , and how well they like it or don't like it. Do they work good, have any quirky problems, etc. Also, under a heavy load, how bad will the pump bog down the engine . My B-10 is an early model with the 23d 9 hp engine. Thanks Dave

BLT
Unless you are trying to pull fence posts, you will hardly notice it's there. Should handle optional accessories OK. Maintence is check the oil resivior periodaclly.

MDB
Have one on my B110 and I am looking for one for my B108D

thedaddycat
They are terrible and nobody wants them. I'll take that one off your hands just so you don't feel too bad about having it....... LOL

KenK
Seen the complete set up for sale at the little G tractor show today,225$ ouch.

ReedS
To find one new in a box........hope the seals aren't all dried up of course I'll take it they are LOL

Kent
If you're using your tractor only for mowing and towing a cart, the hydraulic lift isn't needed, and is just an added thing to maintain over time.... If you're using your tractor for virtually anything else, they are invaluable and almost worth their weight in gold (and priced according now, it seems). They'll lift well over two hundred pounds of front or rear attachments (snow blades, snowblowers, tillers, moldboard plows, etc.), using your fingertips. Most importantly, they provide enough down-pressure to lift either the front or rear of the tractor slightly off the ground, using one of those attachments.... The optional hydraulic lift was THE determining factor in me buying two of the three tractors I have... the third tractor has a loader, and that's why I bought it. It will also have a hydraulic lift on it soon, as soon as it gets its turn to be torn down and repainted, since I happen to have another used setup.... Don't worry about it bogging the engine down, since you'll hear the governor kick in, and the pressure bypass valves in the lift system will prevent it from really overloading the engine. The system was originally designed for the 9HP tractors....

dirtsaver
David, suffice to say that most of us B-10 owners would love to have hydro lift on our tractors. I have a 3012 and a B-10 I want to add hydro to but have never found the kits or donor tractors. You have a real find! Larry

Kent
BTW, Ken... That $225 price you saw at Little G could have been a pretty fair bargain, if it was a complete, working system that didn't leak bad, and had the very hard to find parts of (a) the 10HP engine pulley and (b) the mounting plate for the bevel gear box ... I've heard of people paying more. I wouldn't sell one of mine for that price, for sure....

KenK
I thought it was a little high.I just bought the complete setup shaft and all for 75$ from the antique tractors club.Maybe after I get it mounted and using it I will beleive it to be more valuable.

Kent
Ken, sounds to me that you found a real bargain there. They were going for $125 - $200 when I first started this stuff, about 5 years ago now....

DavidG
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I got something that will be a nice addition to my tractor. ReedS and Daddycat, thanks for offering to take it off my hands to avoid me the burden of maintaining it, but I think I'll go ahead and install when I get a chance...LOL. Seeing what everone else says they cost, I guess I got a good deal, as I payed $75.00 for everthing , and that included the ram , pulley, belt and all the brackets and hardware. This same farmer has a B-10 he bought brand new in '63, still uses it every week, AND, it has a sickle bar mower that he purchased for it at the same time. I know they are hard to find. I told him to let me know if and when he ever decides to sell it, but he didn't seem to be too interested in letting it go. Can't say that I blame him. Dave

Chris727
You guys are making me regeret not buying a Landlord 101 with Hydrolift, good sheet metal, and tiller for $250. I thought the guy wanted too much because it had sat outside for probably ten years and may have been underwater in a flood but the engine was free, and it was very restorable. -Chris

wore my arm out for 15 years with the manual lift on my old 7112-now have the power lift on my Sov-never go back!;)

thedaddycat
I bought that Big Ten on eBay for no other reason than it had the lift. I paid just over $200 for the tractor, and use it with the JBJr. I have the electric lift on other tractors, wanted to see how well the hydraulic lift worked with it. I think this lift needs new O rings....