Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
620Doc

How Many 616/620/720?

620Doc
Does any one know how many of these tractors where produced?

Les
I have never heard of a comprehensive reliable source for tractor production numbers. I wish there were, it would be very interesting. These tractors were produced from 1972 to 1979 under Simplicity, Allis-Chalmers, Wards, and US military(different engine)colors.

Kent
US military? Our resident historian comes up with another surprise... I hadn't heard of any Simplicity tractors made for the US military. Can you add any more clues?

JoeJ
hehehe Kent, I really get the feelin your not a JD fan. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

Kent
Joe, I'm not that big a critic of JDs, really... I just think they're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-priced for what you get.... That green paint must cost about $1000 a gallon....

rokon2813
Ok give it up. Out with the secret...whats this military stuff?????

Brent_Baumer
The answer is easy. Not enough! Can't find any within reasonable driving distance of me for a good price. (To me good means low). I'm not going to pay $2000, $3000 or $4000 for a 25 year old mower on steriods when there are lots of Kubotas around for that money or less with more power and a Cat 1. Don't mean to knock the tractors, I'd love to have one, but seem to be too high priced due to low supply for what they are worth in working value compared to the other options out there. Brent

Les
There were some powermax tractors produced for the GSA, or General Services Agency. They used a military spec Onan CCKB engine. I have done some internet searches to try and locate one at a GSA auction, but I just dont have the time or energy, plus due to their age there may not be any around anymore. If anybody is familiar with Governement surplus this would be a good item to look for. Yes, Brent, I feel your pain, used Powermax/720's are WAY over priced for what you get, which is why I dont own one. I did own a AC 720 for about a year, it had a lot of problems and was just too hard to work on for someone with limited mechanical ability. All I could see was major $$$$ flying into a 30 year old tractor which was very limited in performance vs. a Kubota which I got into for a LOT less money than fixing the 720 was going to cost. I still want one though, maybe someday.....

crequake
Not too long ago, I saw a Simplicity walk behind with a rotary mower, sickle bar cutter, dozer blade, snow blower, sulky, extra wheels & some other stuff. It was listed on ebay - I found it using "military surplus" for my search. All the stuff was painted an ugly blue/grey & stenciled "Property of USN" The seller stated it spent its life at the Phil. Navy Yard. Nick