Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MarcusInMd

HELP!!! Legacy 54" Deck

MarcusInMd
Hello, I purchased a used Legacy tractor with only 88 hours on it. It has developed an annoying problem. I had put about 10 hours on the tractor before the belt that came with the tractor broke. I replaced it and put another 3 hours on a brand new 54" LEGACY belt and I just started the tractor up to cut the grass enaged the PTO and and it broke! 3 hours on the belt. I put 7 years on my MTD and never once replaced a belt. What is going on here? I clean the deck with air each time I am finished with it and also clean the deck underneath of all clippings etc etc. I took the deck shields off and all pulleys are moving freely and there was nothing that got caught up in the belt. It just snapped off as soon as the PTO was engaged. The belt appears to have a cut in it about 1" from where the belt actaully snapped. But it does not appear that there is anything that it could have gotten snagged on. This can't be normal! Does anyone have any ideas? Thank You, Marcus

JoeJ
:)Hey Marcus, No, That isn't normal, but could be just a simple adjustment. I'm sure someone familiar with your deck will be along and be able to help you out. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

MarcusInMd
Well after looking through the manual it says that excessive belt wear (which I dont really see) or breakage could be due to a bent pully or sharp edges but I don't see either of these problems on the deck either. Quite strange. The worse part is trying to find a local dealer that stocks this belt and of course all are closed on Sundays. I am affraid to drop another 50 bucks until I know what might be going on with the belt system. Marcus

Dutch
I'm going to show my ignorance of Legacy tractors. Are you stating it's a 54" deck or a 54" belt? Was a 54" deck offered? I thought only 48" or 60" were offered on the Legacy. The arbor belt for the 48" deck is 96" long, on the 60" deck it's 130" long. Aren't the Legacy decks shaft driven? What belt is breaking? Did someone rig up a belt driven Landlord deck on a Legacy? What are the MFG numbers (169xxxx) of your tractor and deck?

MarcusInMd
Hi Dutch, No this is an actual 54" deck. The belt drives the blades the motor drives a gear box on the deck via a PTO shaft. The deck belt is 101" long. I dont have the exact part number in front of me for any of the parts but I hope this helps. P.S. The legacy that I have (from 2001) was offered with a 48, 54 or 60 deck. Take Care, Marcus

Al
HI, Are you engaging the mower with the tractor wide open? This burnishes the clutch surfaces every time it is engaged. If you engage the mower at part throttle is grabs and puts a shock load on the system. Continuously doing so "galls" the clutch surfaces and causes it to grab even worse. Part of new tractor set up is to take it and engage the mower 10 times at full throttle to burnish the clutch. You may have another problem, but this can play a part. Let us know some more of the details. Good luck, Al Eden

MarcusInMd
Thanks for the Reply Al, I leave the throttle at full speed all of the time. I dont have the need to reduce it to idle unless I am talking with someone. So the blades are engaged at full throttle always. So I don't think that could be the problem. Marcus

Boney
The only thing I can think of that would break belts would be, a weak belt, pullies out of alignment, too much tention on the belt, or sometype of sharp objuct that would cut the belt. I would check pully alignment 1st while looking for somthing that may cause it to be cut { a rought edge on a pully or something similar } check the tenstion of the belt, it may be to tight. Looka t the old belt see it you can see how it broke, clean break may indicate cutting from somthing sharp, tearing may indicate too much tension, or maybe a shinny spot on the belt indicating it got hot and burnt. As a rookie this is all i can think of.

UCD
The one question no one has asked. Are you useing simplicity belts? After market just don't seam to hold up on Simplicity tractors where the run on the back side of a belt on the idler pullies. I think what Al ment was when you first ingage the clutch when you start mowing.

MarcusInMd
Thanks Guys, The dealer that I purchased it from just stopped down and installed a new belt on it and looked it over. He really can't see any problems with the deck/pulleys etc. We also looked at the ideler arm for a crack that may make the idler pully move up and down and there was none. The dealer said that the previous owner had not gone through any belts that he knew of (and he was the one to service this tractor) The belt tension is not too tight, it does not seem to loose either. The pulleys appear to be in alignment etc etc. Nothing sharp to catch the belt and cut it. The belt does not appear to be burned frayed etc etc. I actually took it to the place I purchased it and they said it looks like it got pulled right apart. As if you were to just pull it and rip it in half. The material that makes up the belt is actaully sticking out of one end of the belt (cord?) The only thing that the dealer noticed was that the blade shaft that is attached tot he pulleys move up and down a bit (a little bit of play in them.) He was going to call simplicity and ask about this. This is very strange indeed. UCD, you will notice that in my first post I specifically said a 54" legacy belt ;-) I knew that question would be asked eventually. Take Care, Marcus