Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

onan 16 twin starter not working below 20'f

seniormoment

I thought one of you motor heads out there could give me a clue why the starter on my onan 16 horse twin won't turn in weather colder then 20' If I warm up the starter with a blow dryer, it will turn begrudgingly and once warm will work the rest of the day, until it cools off again. As the cold air is bothering Kent's (of simple tractors fame) hand any help getting started more quickly will be applied directly to kent's driveway.... thanks in advance! regards jim.

Hi agree with Ken, but also you might have a case the starter frosting up. In others words a frozen starter from condensation inside of it. I would disasemble the started and used a type of "tuner cleaner" and spray it clean. And then do as Ken suggested. One more thing you may just find that one of the magnets has either cracked or is loose inside. I have found all of these problems along with what Ken mentioned to be either the problem or problems. Check all conections and out put of your battery while your at it. I hope this helps and its not a magnet that has let loose inside. Best of luck->happyjack<-

You have a starter that has grease on the bearings and bendix. dissasemble and clean and relube with cold weather lub. Try 10/30 or 10/20 oil. or wd40 Think that is bad , try -40 Ken

These starters have scintered metal permanent magnet fields which are subject to cracking..they're somewhat fragile. You might strap a voltmeter on your battery while cranking the engine. If the voltage drops below 10-10.5 volts check the battery as well. Certainly the advice offered above is correct. As for grease I prefer the white Lithium type. By the way, the fields are not serviced seperately by Onan..if they're broken you're in for a new starter.