Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

VENTURI? TIME?

I FOUND A REBUILD KIT AT MY LOCAL PARTS HOUSE. I TOOK APART MY CARB,PUT IN THE NEW GASKETS AND FLOAT. PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND THEN LOOKED OVER THE DIAGRAM AGIAN, I SEEN A PART CALLED VENTURI, I DON'T HAVE ONE, WILL IT WORK WITH OUT IT??? I'VE REBUILT THE CARB, PUT ON A NEW COIL, TOOK OFF THE HEAD, EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT, I HAVE GREAT COMPRESSION, WHEN I PUT THE HEAD BACK ON, SHOULD THE PISTON BE TOP DEAD CENTER? IS THERE ANYTHING ELESE I SHOULD DO?

PatRarick
The position of the piston will not matter as far as installing the head. You need the venturi in the carb. It's hard to say without knowing what engine or carb you are speaking of. Some had a seperate venturi while some have it cast into the top of the carb or the carb body. Pat

I HAVE A B-10 ENGINE. ? 243431

dav
The carb on my 243431 has the venturi cast into the body. I rebuilt the carb with parts from a local supplier who deals with Simplicity, I think, because it was part of the deal when they bought the business(they push the kubota line and Sim is just there). I had to buy the parts individually. The carb didnt work right so I bought a complete kit from a small engine shop. The main jet was different! Both fit but side by side there is a considerable difference! My point is that you should compare what you got with what you had. Good luck.

PatRarick
The carb on your 243431 should have the venturi cast into the upper carb body. There are two different carb kits for this engine, depending on build date. Not sure what the cutoff is, but if your tractor has the original engine, it should be the older kit. As dav said the difference between the two kits is the main jet. I believe the threading is slightly different on the two jets, as well as other differences. They will interchange, but it is not easy to screw the wrong jet into the body. If you can install the wrong jet, the engine will not run properly, and it will most likely leak. Pat

Agricola
When you put that head on, be sure to torque the bolts to the correct specs in the proper order. It might keep you from blowing a head gasket.