Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

COIL,SPARK PLUG WIRE

I PUT A NEW COIL ON, I WAS TOLD TO PUT A PEICE OF PAPER BETWEEN THE COIL AND FLYWHEEL WHEN INSTALLING IT, AND THEN REMOVE THE PAPER AND IT SHOULD WORK FINE. IS THIS TRUE?

BLT
If that piece of paper is at least .010" thick. Just a piece of paper might not do it.

Chris727
Try using a feeler gauge, they sell them at sears. -Chris

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Try using a feeler gauge, they sell them at sears. -Chris
A strip of common manila file folder(cut to 3/4" X 10") makes a good gauge as it is about .010" thick and sturdy enough to roll out with your thumb after the coil clamps down on the magnets. A steel feeler gauge might not be long enough to span the coil legs and it attracts magnetism.

PatRarick
A standard sheet of notebook paper is .004 -.005 inches thick. I fold about 1" of the edge over twice (three thicknesses). I have it thumbtacked to the wall over my workbench. When the "measuring edge" gets torn, I cut it off and fold again. Pat

HubbardRA
I use a matchbook.

plowman
the last b&s coil i bought had a place on the box the coil came in that stated use this to set gap.

Agricola
I guess I must be lucky. I've done quite a few engines and have yet to ever replace a coil. I hate spending money.

andy gartner
All great ideas... ...if you want to go deluxe, they sell a reusable, flexible, low friction, plastic gauge for this, a little bigger than a 3x5 card. Slips in and out real easy. Not free as above, but close. A