Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
richp

ignition problems

richp
I traced that anoying skip on my 64 landlord to those dam points. There seems to be an arc coming from the screw that adjusts the gap on my points, whenever you see the arc the rpm's drop. the points are less than 3 months old.Is there Any way I can stop this arcing so I can fix this thing before we get snow tomorrow. There saying 6-12" in central CT. (they have been wrong before). thanks, Rich P

dlcentral
Points of today are woefully lacking the quality of years ago!I suggest going to a NAPA auto store and buying their breakerless ign box for around $20 bucks,for the single cyl. briggs. It eliminates the "Damn points", and isn't affected by moisture either.You just simply mount this little box near the breaker box and re-rout the wires to it and that's it!No more skipping! good luck! dlc

Les
You may have some kind of bad insulator or some kind of film causing conduction - try removing them and cleaning everything well before reassembly or try returning them for a refund and try another set. If you greased the pivot - don't - it is not needed and can be also be your problem.

Les
I agree with DLC and put in the breakerless ignition box. I had the same kind of problem and changed over. It only took about 20 minutes and I picked them up at my local lawn mower shop for about $13. KS