Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
B-1 Allis Chalmers

ergent

B-1 Allis Chalmers
i have a montomery wards twin sixteen and i took the moflur off and i was wondering if i could run it with out it until the stacks are made

Rob-B
hello, i was always taught "no you can't" because you'll burn out the valves. even if its a piece of straight pipe 8" long is suppose to create enough back pressure to keep the valves safe. rob

jkmustang1
That is one of the reasons some back pressure is good. Two is you may burn some unburnt fuel on the next power stoke as it will get pulled back in on the intake stroke depending on the valve overlap on the cam.

HubbardRA
You don't need back pressure, you need a tube to take the heat away from the valves. Airflow stops at the end of the tube. You need to move this point where the flow stops and the heat is dumped, away from the valves. If you lower your back pressure you will probably have to make your carb a little richer but it won't hurt anything. It is the heat that burns the valves, not pressure.

Agricola
This is really quite interesting. I have often heard you need to have a muffler but never good reasons why. They always just said backpressure but straight pipes don't do much of that. Thanks for the info.

Hoss
Sure you can burn the valves and wreck the engine. You can always buy a new engine. What about your ear drums? Sometimes its TOO loud with a muffler, I can only imagine how loud no pipe or muffler would be!

MoAC610
The muffler actually does both create back pressure and moves the heat. If you have ever looked at an engine that has run for extended period of time with no pipe the flange or threads have been burned away also the heat warps valve stems and causes hot spots in cyclinder wall and head. I dont suggest runnig without one either.

MPH
Heat removeing got to be important. When I blow snow in the dark the muffler turns cherry red but the pipe does not. For the sake of your ear drums at least put a pipe on it with an elbow pointing forward,then another 4 or 5 in pipe. Ear drums don't grow twice in our life span. MPH

Rob-B
hello, thank you rodney...........makes cents now that its explained alittle better. rob

Allis_B12
Wouldn't having a muffler mounted on the engine actually make the engine safer (in case the engine ever backfired)?

HubbardRA
I don't want anyone to take my comments wrong. I am not a proponent of running without a muffler. I was just stating that eigher a muffler or at least a pipe of 3 to 4 inches length is necessary to prevent burning the valves, and that it wasn't back pressure that prevented burning valves. I have run my 61 Wards in tractor pulling and also working at home and it has had a straight pipe the whole time, with no muffler. Never had to touch the valves, never adjusted them, no problems. My other tractors all have stock type mufflers. I don't really like the noise, just the additional power for the tractor pulls. Less back pressure, with a properly adjusted carb means more power. A larger volume of clean fuel and air mixture is sucked into the cylinder with lower back pressure.