Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mitten

Front wheels bearings

mitten
Maybe some has done this before. I changed the front wheel bearings on my B110 from the standard tapered bearings to sealed roller bearings. No more greasing front bearings. Never did like the seals on the inside. I used the same bearings that go on the mower deck spindles. will have to see how this stands up in use.

UCD
Tapered wheel bearings are used for two reasons 1 - they will take the side stress from turning side to side 2 - they are adjustable as they wear.

HubbardRA
Go back! You'll regret it.

BillC
Being a mechanical engineer, I strongly suggest putting the original Timken tapered roller bearings back on your front wheels and replace your dust caps with bearing buddies. Just make sure to pack grease in between the inner and outer bearings.

HubbardRA
BillC, I am also an ME, and I agree with you 100 percent.

Nick
quote:
Originally posted by BillC
Being a mechanical engineer, I strongly suggest putting the original Timken tapered roller bearings back on your front wheels and replace your dust caps with bearing buddies. Just make sure to pack grease in between the inner and outer bearings.
Bill, Where can you find these "bearing buddies"?

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Stanchak
quote:
Originally posted by BillC
Bill, Where can you find these "bearing buddies"?
NAPA would be a sart or do a web search on "Bearing Buddy". Take a sample cap with you as there are different sizes, will save you a trip.

rokon2813
Bearing buddy can be had at most any camper or boat dealership. Especially for boat trailers as they get (should get) greased more often from being in the water. In case you dont know what a "bearing buddy" is. It is a replacement dust cover with a seal and a grease zerk so you can grease without disassembly.

PhanDad
Here's a link to a pic of a Bearing Buddy. They are spring loaded to keep positive pressure in the bearing cavity. Especially good for boat trailers so that when warm hubs are immersed in water, the cooling and resulting contraction doesn't suck in water and rust the bearings. They are available in different diameters and materials, but maybe not at Overton's: http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/pdetail.cgi?32019++2AN12

Nick
Thanks all, I'll either go to a boat place, or NAPA.

BillC
I purchased my bearing buddies from Farm & Fleet. I am sure Fleet Farm and Northern has them also. They are available in both chromed steel and stainless steel. The size that fits the front wheels is 1.78" diameter.

HubbardRA
WalMart and Tractor Supply both sell the size that you need. I think they are about 1.7 inchs. Standard size for small trailers.