Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LeoB

Free Stuff

LeoB
Well guys, I can finally post a little gloat. It coulda been a major one but alas... such is the way of the tractor gods. Anyway, I've been talking to older woman who has an old landlord in the barn. It's been there for over 20 years, her father bought it second hand sometime back in the 60's and loved it. When he passed, no one knew anything about it, so into the barn it went and it's just sat there. I've been trying to get her to sell it to me, but no dice. She wants to paint it up and sit in her front yard as a monument to father's memory. I've tried to talk her out of it, telling her that it would a better monument to have it out running and doing what it does best, but again no dice. I just can't push too hard, it'd be rude. She called today and wanted to know if I wanted to take whatever parts it has on it including the engine before she puts it out. I'm going to pick it up this Saturday, bring it to my place and take what I want, then return it to her all cleaned up. The good part though is that I went into the barn tonight to measure the tractor to see if it'll fit into my truck. Sitting there is what looks to be an almost brand new 42 inch deck and a 36" 3 belt snow thrower with all the framework and belts. She's giving it all to me as well as anything else I can find in the barn that belongs to the tractor. Speaking of that , I noticed that the tractor has hub caps all around, I think they may be surface rusted though, but didn't look dented. So, while I'm disappointed about the fate of that poor old landlord, I'm thinking that in a few years when it starts to look poorly in her front yard, I might be able to get it... if it's worth anything that is. I do feel good about a 42 inch deck though and the tranny assembly has the pullies for the for rear power takeoff. It also has a rear lift assembly that I think I'll grab. I'll let you know what kind of cool stuff is on there when I get it back to the house this weekend.

Tom_Byrne
God, what a shame to put that in the front yard to rust away! I have a friend with an Aunt thats the same way. She has a little Case that was her dads- beautiful condition, used two seasons before he died. has sat in the garage ever since, and she wont let anyone in the family sell it. She did the same with her dads 76 Monarch, 30,000 original, sat in the yard till it rotted in half- then junked it. Keep trying- maybe once it's at your house she might reconsider.

SmilinSam
Put a battery in it, gas, and clean out the carb, points, etc and Drive it into her yard and see what she says......It probably will run ya know...

LeoB
You know Sam... that's a pretty good idea. I wonder if it'll work. I should try just for my own satisfaction... I think I will! I'll let you know. It looks just like that Landlord 101 listed on EBay right now including the hub caps.