Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

John Deere 40-s

gr-made

Hi Gr-Made, I couldn't tell you a thing about the JohnDeere's but have you tried their site. If I remember someone has site for the green and yellow tractors. Other wise try Yesterdays tractor forum and post your question and just see if someone responds. Best I can do maybe someone else can help. Good Luck and it must be a sweet heart of a tractor. ->happyjack<-

Back on the farm, we had an old saying that went "Green paint cost $1000 per gallon" I dont believe that old 40 has got 3.5 gallons of green on it. The 40 series was the successor to the Dubuque built, vertical engine "M" series. The "s" designation refers to the standard tread version, as opposed to tricycle or crawler versions. The 40 introduced the first Deere 3 pt. hitch and "live" hydraulics. $3500 sounds a little steep, but people do go crazy for that green paint! I would think an 8N Ford would be a better buy for that kind of money.

Hello everyone: I hope no one gets offended by me asking a question about John Deere on this site. You guys all seem to know your way around tractors very well so I need an opinion. While traveling some back roads around West Michigan last weekend I found a guy with a lot of tractors/parts for sale at his place. I was looking for simplicity stuff which he did have but ran across a nice John Deere I would like to have. It was a John Deere model 40-S. I checked the serial # and it appears to be a 1954 model. I guess it replace the M and has around 15% more horsepower. Here is the kicker, the guy is asking $3,900 for it. I did get him down 10% on price to $3,500 but that sounds awfully steep for me. Does anyone know a good price to pay for this tractor, or have any contacts that have. Thanks GR-MADE

The reference I have confirms the above, and I agree, you could get more for less money if you don't get the green paint. However, it seems the Ford 9N, 8N, NAA, etc., are fetching almost as much as the Deere in NW Ohio/SE Michigan. Maybe its because of the $10,000+ pricetags on the newer models.

The $3500.00 price tag being too high would depend on the condition of the tractor and what the normal going price is in your area. The 40 is a nice tractor and when it comes to farm tractors I like the green myself and red and orange. Tim