Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Tough to kill

Dutch
Tested that 712S I recently bought. There was so much crud around the engine and BGB, I had to use a steam cleaner (pressure washer won’t do it). BGB bolts were loose and missing. All brake, clutch, band, shift, and other linkage adjustments were off. Installed a new battery, changed all the fluids (they were low and dirty), and gave it a complete lube. Heavy brackets are welded to the front axle (used for ???). A really heavy trailer hitch is welded to the rear frame brackets. It is obvious this tractor has done a lot of hard work, and hasn't been stored inside to often. Check the instrument panel and pitting of the frame. Installed a set of 25-10.00x12 tires with aggressive tread, and axle tube clamps. Installed a front blade and put it to a test. Worked it really hard, but in spite of the old cracked belts it wouldn’t quit. Then installed a grader blade and removed the weeds from my driveway. Put about 4 hours on the machine. Engine didn’t use any oil, BGB box is leaking, but other than that, it seems fine. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/engine-crud.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/bgb-crud-2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/cracked-dash.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/frame-pit-2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/axle-brakets.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/trailer-hitch.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/1st-run-1.jpg[/img]

MPH
Sounds like living proof ya don't have to look good to work good. Sure the steam cleaner made it look a whole lot better. Really too bad some people have welders too use, same goal could have been had, yet been removable...MPH

gregc
May be a little rough but it sure does look tough.8D

looks like a worker bee to me. I like those tires.

rokon2813
what brand are those? they look like blackwater 3 wheeler tires

SmilinSam
Dutch, The lift lever looks a bit peculiar to me. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right. Looks almost like one off a 300 series from here.....

arjr111
Hey Dutch, hope that old adage about tractors looking like their owners are not true!;)

vfd702
Ok......What's an axle tube clamp??? Looks like a real worker Dutch. ken

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
what brand are those? they look like blackwater 3 wheeler tires
They're "Swamp Witch" ATV tires.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Sure the steam cleaner made it look a whole lot better.
No it didn't....... only made it cleaner.
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Really too bad some people have welders too use, same goal could have been had, yet been removable...MPH
Whoever did the welding was good, very good. What was done is not irreversable. The welds can be ground off and everything put back to OEM.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
The lift lever looks a bit peculiar to me. Maybe I'm just not seeing it right. Looks almost like one off a 300 series from here.....
You're seeing it right. It's a Simplicity, but I never saw such a radical offset on a 7000 series. Is that what it's from, a 300 series? It doesn't matter. I'm going to install a pump, cylinders, and electro switches from another tractor I built.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by arjr111
Hey Dutch, hope that old adage about tractors looking like their owners are not true!;)
Too bad it isn't true....... I'm not that good looking........ I used to be though...... 30 years ago I looked like a movie star.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by vfd702
Ok......What's an axle tube clamp???
It's just a clamp (muffler clamp) around the axle tube so if the axle explodes it's contained and won't take the transmission housing with it.

Which star Herb?:D Doug

MPH
Not sure if you've used them Herb, but I used some cutting Discs on a 4 inch grinder cutting stainless steel flashing at work, I was quite impressed with them skinny little guys, maybe 1/16inch thick, might cut them welds off and make a lot less grinding.MPH

SmilinSam
quote:
You're seeing it right. It's a Simplicity, but I never saw such a radical offset on a 7000 series. Is that what it's from, a 300 series?
I got some pictures out and looked at and thats exactly what is from. The 300/400 series has the lift shaft sitting lower and farther away from the operator than the 700 series thus the lever has to reach higher and farther back.

bubba_t _flubba
Hey Dutch, Put that in the back of your old pick up and drive that to Wal-Mart. I bet you will really see the city folks running for cover.}:)^^ Greg

Stoneheartfarm
Dutch, It's just a little rough. Give it a few months and I'm sure you'll have it looking great again. ;) Steve

HubbardRA
Dutch, Your lift lever is exactly like the one on the 410 in my back yard.

IronPony
Dutch, that is the exhaust system I just bought from Sandy Lake Imp for $106. Muffler alone was $83.83. Yours looks to be in good repair. Makes me wonder why the rest of the tractor seems to have been neglected. She is still a good old lady and lucky to have you in her old age. Dan

Kent
OK, Dutch, fess up... How many running tractors do you have now?

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
Dutch, that is the exhaust system I just bought from Sandy Lake Imp for $106. Muffler alone was $83.83. Yours looks to be in good repair. Makes me wonder why the rest of the tractor seems to have been neglected.
The muffler is brand new. I guess the old one just rusted away. Neglect or not, owners have to spend a buck once in a while.
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
She is still a good old lady and lucky to have you in her old age.
"She" hasn't worked for me yet. It ain't fun. "She" may want to just sit out in a quiet field and rust away among the flowers. Just goes to show....... Be careful what you wish for.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by Kent
OK, Dutch, fess up... How many running tractors do you have now?
You sound like my wife. Here are my standard answers. 1) "This is this one. The one you saw this morning was the other one." Makes it sound like only two, doesn't it? 2) "You sound like a DA. How about starting off by reading my rights?" 3) "They're nice shoes. How many pairs do you have now?"

Kent
Well, Dutch, all I can say is that you must have better hiding places than I do... for you and your tractors! :)