Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Boney

Restoring Tractors

Boney
Where do you go to learn about the proper ways to paint a tractor ?

MPH
You are there Boney. Gues you could do some auto body studing if you want to be professional, most of us use squirt cans I think..MPH

UCD
There are many ways to paint a tractor. 1 - can of paint and brush. 2 - Spray cans. 3 - Spray gun and Automotive paint. Preperation is the big thing on any paint job sanding it down, straighten any dents or fill with body filler, more sanding, primer, (type depending on paint used) more sanding, prime again, more sanding. Wash with soap and water, Wipe down with thinner or prep solv, wipe with tack rag, spray with color coat. There is alot more to it than that but those are the basics.

Tom_Byrne
What Maynard said, and it depends on how fussy you are. I wash down the tractor real good, rough it up with sandpaper, prime and paint. Good enough for me, but maybe not for the perfectionist type.

Agricola
You might be able to find a junior college that has a body shop type class for the trades. What I do is wash, sand/wire brush/grind or whatever to get a good clean and smooth surface. Then blow the entire thing off and let all the dust settle. I then wipe the entire thing down with a rag soaked in paint thinner. It will get that final layer of dust and any grease or dirt you might have missed. I almost always use a quality paint gun, a Binks is a great gun if you can find one. Paint all hard parts first. That might help prevent runs and missing stuff. Paint carefully and don't overpaint. Runs and sags can be a real pain. Thinning the paint can be a challenge until you get the feel of your gun and pressures. But when it is all done, you might have a piece of work, better than the original.

RenegadeJ
Just recently finished restoring a B-112. Completely disassembled entire tractor and sandblasted all body and frame parts. My son is in the auto body business and it helped when it came to painting. 2 coats zinc chromate primer, 4 coats base coat color and then 2 coats clear. Wet sand with 1500 grit and then buff with power buffer until get the desired shine to it. Smooth as glass. Then reassemble with all stainless steel bolts and nuts in all the body panels. All new decals from Wells Implement. Looks kinda nice, I think!

KSever
Renegade, Where are the pictures of this beauty?