Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
arnoldir

720 / Powermax Hydro Replacement ?

arnoldir
Hello All, I've seen info from Powermax Paul that the series 15 hydro is still in production and being used in other machinery That said, do any of our members know if a direct fit NEW hydro is available for the powermax. Regards

UCD
The series 15 sundstrand hydro was and is used in the new legacy tractors as well as all of the earlier modle large frame tractors. Starting in 1975 with the 7000 series, 7100 series, soveriegn series Sunstar, and now legacy.

CarlH
The PowerMax's use an inline version of the Sunstrand Series 15 hydro. The Sovereigns use a 'U' version of the Series 15 hydro. You can download technical info from Sauer-Danfoss: [url]http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/[/url]

UCD
Rodger here is a source for parts and Info [url="http://www.precisionfluidpower.com/index.htm"]Precision Fluid Power[/url] 1-800-728-5168 They all so handle Vickers Hydraulic [url="http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/"]Sauer Sundstrand[/url] Hydrostatic transmission solutions Principal Business Center, United States and Ames Plant: Sauer-Danfoss Company 2800 East 13th Street Ames, IA 50010 Phone: + 1 (515) 239-6000 Fax: + 1 (515) 239-6318

arnoldir
Thanks guys, Great contact info. Now the only peice of info I need is the specific Sundstrand model or P/N that the 720/PMax uses and I can start making phone calls. Has anyone else tried to track down a new hydro for one of these ? or am I the first meatball to roll down that road ?

UCD
Rodger All i can find is it is a series 15 in-line hydro If you don't have them here are the specs and troubling shooting tree for it.

Here is the Allis Chalmers Parts list and numbers

Les
The new Legacy XL uses a Jap made trans.

markpogue
What is the problem with yours? and why not just repair it? Also I think there was a member that had one for sale on this site a few weeks back.?

Les
Was wondering why they went to the Jap hydro. Is it because the Sunstrand does not have enough hydraulic flow to handle the Cat I three point? Or is the Jap just cheaper?

Al
Hi, The New Legacy hydrdo, has the output for the driveshaft for the front wheel drive and the front wheel drive system. It is used in other tractors as well. The front drive shaft turns about 1/2 the input shaft speed. It also has a 6.5 gpm pump for aux hydraulics. On other brands, the pump goes to 3.5 gal if it is not used for a loader. Sim puts the 6.5 on all units. The old Legacy hydro was rated for 25 hp. That is why the 27hp diesel had the pump turned down to 24.5 hp. [different pump] The new hydro is heavier and the diesel is back to the 26 or 27 hp pump, I don't remember which. Also the 27 Kaw liquid cooled. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

arnoldir
Answer to Markpogue, If I could find a new direct fit hydro for no more than say $500 over the cost of a core and a rebuild, In my mind it's worth it. Regards

powermax_paul
Last time I checked with my Simplicity dealer, a rebuilt hydro for the powermax would be about $1300 with core exchange. These things aren't that complicated, can I walk you thru a rebuild?

Les
If you are serious about buying a new one, you mignt try calling the Surplus Center in Lincoln NE, they deal in that sort of item. The number is 800-488-3407

cranemech
Roger, Pulled the hydro out of my AC 620 today and the ID tag on the unit says: Sundstrand Model 90-1113 S/N 04-MB 25961 Later, Chad

arnoldir
Paul, Les, and Chad, Thanks for adding info. I bought a used hydro from a member Vic in IA, and will try swapping that in and see how it works out. If that gives me enough lift pressure to handle the box blade after 30 minutes of run time I think I'm OK for what I need it to do. Got her running pretty good, of couse this weekend I blew a line from the loader pump, so it's always something. Regards

powermax_paul
Roger, Did you make sure that the proper amount of shim was installed behind the bevel gear before installing? The transmission case and the hydro case each have a number stamped on them. There is a cross reference chart in the repair manual that lists these numbers and how much shim is required behind the bevel gear for proper meshing with the the transmission gear.

arnoldir
Hello Paul, Yes, I've read that section of the manual but have not had time to tear into the tractor yet. Happy tractoring

powermax_paul
Oops, misread your reply. Thought you'd done it already. When you do remove the old one, take your time and try to pull it strait out of the transmission case. It's a perfect slip fit and if it gets cocked sideways, it gets stuck real easy. Once you get it cocked, loosening it usually gets it cocked in the opposite direction. Just my experience, good luck and try to have a friend help from above.