Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How do I remove kingpin stake on steering spindle

I'm trying to take the spindle's off of the front axle on my old 7016. The right one came off easily, but the left (the one with the steering arm) is staked! How do I get the stake out????[A href='jegssr@worldnet.att.net']jegssr@worldnet.att.net[/a]

Ok now before you do anymore beating or yanking on that thing. Check to make sure that you can actually see the keys by looking into the holes that the set screws came out of. The reason is on some tractors Simplicity used real short set screws and added another one to back it up to keep them from working themselves loose and falling out"Just a could be". Your idea of heating the arm around the area of the set screws shouldn't hurt if not over done. But first check for for more set screws still in place. This is just my opinion and my 2 cents worth. Good Luck and let us know how you make out->happyjack<-

Thanks Happyjack. I didn't see an extra. The key looks more like a tapered stake than a key. It sticks out the top about an eighth inch. I'll try heat.

I removed, tapped, beat, pulled, yanked, but nothing budges! Would heat help or hurt?[A href='jegssr@worlnet.att.net']jegssr@worlnet.att.net[/a]