Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
patrician12

Lowes

patrician12
This weekend it my turn to visit Lowes.I must say they had 14 different makes and models on display.Nothing really small.Here's a small overview of waht they had.They had a Husquavarna front cut zero turn mower that was pretty nifty,3 different Bolens that were really rebadged MTDs,three nice cub cadets 2 with shaft drive,3 Troybilts.One was a giant 25 horsepower Troybilt that looked pretty well made with a very sturdy front axle assembly.Tractors were $899.00 to $2999.00.What struck me funny is that no tractor had any provision for other power takeoff accessories except for the mower deck that comes with it.I guess that's what makes them box store tractors.Other than the bolens line they all looked pretty hefty.The Bloens had strike against the minute I saw it.It was the ugliest color green in the world.By the way on the big Briggs motors the air cooling impeller is made of PLASTIC.Was anyone concerned about gas mileage that they were looking to save weight?The motor sure was pretty though and big.The engine cover except for the very top on the Troybilts had to unbolted everytime you want to work on it.Grease fittings on all machines were pretty sparse.

arjr111
quote:
3 different Bolens that were really rebadged MTDs,
I have a Bolens 1256 and a 1250. Good solid, reliable equipment! Especially, at $300 each. Three Bolens snowcasters, a snowblade, and a killer tiller. I like the fact that they are heavy duty and shaft driven. It really is a shame how these modern conglomerates have taken a trusted tractor "name" and perverted it, just to sell trash to the rubes

thedaddycat
Probably easier/cheaper to make the plastic one and you can pick any properties you want by what material you use.