Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
a7117puller

help on tips n tricks for variable speed rear

a7117puller
anyone know of any tips and tricks when using this type of transmission? any adjustments? how to use it?

PatRarick
Check here: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm I have found that, due to wear on each individual machine, you have to "fine tune" some of the adjustments. Mainly, the belt stop. It has to be positioned so that it applies enough pressure to the belt that it stops the rotation with the clutch pedal depressed, but not enough so that it actually tightens the belt. Follow the adjustment procedure, study it so that you know what each adjustment does, then fine tune adjustments according to the reaction of your machine. Pat

Kent
You can find much discussion on these, by searching the archives. Go to the top menu Discussions >> Search the Forums and on the search form click the option for Archived Posts... search for variable speed adjustment, and you probably spend a couple of hours reading.... One operation tip... don't move the varidrive speed control lever without the engine running and the clutch disengagaged... i.e. the tractor moving. You won't get any reaction with the tractor stopped or clutched, and you risk damaging the belt, linkage, etc.

thedaddycat
You can change the variable speed adjustment with the engine running and the tranny in neutral. Chock the wheels first though, to be extra safe. I usually have a rock handy for that chore..... PS Just thought of this too, do this away from anything close enough that if it slips into gear you can't stop the tractor in about 2 seconds, like your house , shed or garage. I'm sure I'm not the only one who "thought" they had the tranny in neutral....

Ryan
Depending on what style of tractor you have, like say a 3212v. The distance from the axle to the idler pulley in bubble #3 in the illustration is a different length according to my repair manual.

Kent
Kirk, you're correct that you can move it with the tranny in neutral and the motor running... I've found it easiest to adjust with the rear of the tractor off the ground -- timbers or blocks under the rear hitch work good. Ryan, there is a measurement difference that I've noted also -- but, in my experience that measurement is just a starting point, anyway. The key thing on that step of the procedure is to adjust the belt guide/stop to where it will just barely pinch the belt when the clutch is pressed in, yet will not rub the belt when the clutch is out. This is THE adjustment that stops the belt from moving and allows you to shift without grinding gears....