Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wire_it1

Allis chalmers 712s

wire_it1
I am going to look at a 1974 Allis chalmers 712S..I have to believe the s is for shuttle drive am I right?Does anyone have one of these trannys and how are they?The tractor looks sweet.It come with a blower...front blade..36 in tiller..wheel weights and chains and all the manuals....It would be nice to give my B112 a break this winter...Would love any In put on this tractor..John

ikipp
Have a shuttle for about 20 years. Works fine, and I use it for some heavy duty work. Snowblowing and log pulling. About every 2 years I like to tweak the belt adjustments. Takes about 20 minutes. Good luck.

Ishmael2k
I have a 76 712s that has been in the family since new. No problems with the shuttle at all. Sounds like a nice rig. Rob

JimV
Hi John, welcome to the club. I have a shuttle in the 7014 I just picked up. I like it so far, I have been told buy a few guys that they are fine as long as they are adjusted correctly.I know you will love the 712 I had a 710 with the early style lights and it was a strong tractor.good luck with it.

goatfarmer
I've got a later style 712 with a hydro. Great tractor!

Dadsy98
Shuttle trannys are fine. My 7010 with the shuttle and high/low is my dozer/grader and yard mule. I abuse it on a regular basis. :) Steve

IronPony
I bought a 78 AC712S from the original owner last fall. Used it to push snow and have been cutting grass with it this summer. I can't fault it. I would buy another one. Dan

HubbardRA
Putting together my first shuttle now. Haven't started the engine yet. Hope to try it out before long. Gas tank, wiring, and muffler are all that is left. Have to fabricate parts of each.

MaxN
Hi John, I purchased a 77' 712s with a Kwik-Way front-end loader about 6 months ago. When I really work it hard I do have to re-adjust the shuttle. It's an easy job, only takes a few minuts. I am very pleased with the durability of the tractor.

SMahler
I assume you passed on the AC 712s - because I picked it up this weekend[:0] I probably paid too much, especially in light of the 4hr one way drive to go get it, but I REALLY wanted the darn thing. Anyhow, there are two immediate mechanical things that need attention - calling for all advise! 1) When warm, the Kohler pushes smoke out of the breather vent. Bad rings? Runs fine otherwise, lots of power. 2) The mid-pto belt clutch assbly does not disengage, so currently the mower deck is disengaged by releasing the tension lever (which isnt completely safe). Any ideas on getting this one rebuilt, or buying another? The part looks a bit complicated. Thanks for the help - so far this is a hard working little rig.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by SMahler
1) When warm, the Kohler pushes smoke out of the breather vent. Bad rings?
Probably......
quote:
Originally posted by SMahler
2) The mid-pto belt clutch assbly does not disengage, so currently the mower deck is disengaged by releasing the tension lever (which isnt completely safe). Any ideas on getting this one rebuilt, or buying another? The part looks a bit complicated.
Probably just a linkage adjustment. Could be a broken spring, snap ring, or seized bearing. They may look complicated, but they're not.