Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sun41bird

turff or ag tires

sun41bird
ill be needing new tires on my 917 i was wondering if maybe ag tires would be the way to go.Its used for everything cutting. plowing.snow blowing ect.I use a turff master now with chains for winter use. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions either way

UCD
I prefer the ag tires

JBLACK
I prefer using ag tires my 64 landlord and 78 landlord has them with wheel weights. I`ll never use chains again ,and when it`s icy you just run some sheetmetal screws with hex heads across the lugs and they bite! just my opinion John:D

Kent
Do you have hills to mow? If so, then I'd recommend lugs for sure. If not, then maybe... Ags work well in snow, if you have enough weight on the tractor, but they don't give any better traction on ice than turf tires -- you'll still need chains for icy conditions. You can use 2-link chains on ags, but with the cheaper 4-links the crosslinks just wiggle down between the lugs. As this picture shows on the right tire, some of the crosslinks will still stay up on top of the lugs, if you use the 2-link. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/Kent/Dcp00793.jpg[/img]

papamerkle
I have run ag and turf tires year round. Here are some of the pros and coms to both tires. Ag Tires: Pros:) Great traction (only way to plow your garden.);) Makes your 917 look more like a tractor.8D^ Most times you don't need to install tire chains. Cons:( They will spin easier on ice than chains (moving snow). Ride rougher. Will leave marks in your when mowing. Turf Tires: Pros::) Easier on yard:) Better ride Cons::( Poor traction when wheel power is needed Need tire chains to move snow-sometimes they are a pain to put on. Will scratch cement driveway when spin tires with chains on. Rough ride when chains are on. I am sure there is more pros and coms. I used Turf tires and chains in winter to move snow with my Simplicity Landlord and Yoeman. On my Cub Cadet I used ag tires that have inner tubes and calcium in them. They have been filled calcium for 27 years with no problems.:);)^ Cub is mainly used to do garden work. I have turf tires that I used to mow with. If the wife doesn't get too upset buy both.;)^

Agricola
I agree with the buy both idea. I think lug tires filled with calcium or RV antifreeze inside a tube is great when you need the traction. Otherwise, you can get away with those nice turf tires. Aw heck, buy another tractor and get the best of both worlds. It might be easier on your back than changing tires.

sun41bird
kent what is that yellow thing on the back of your ride?

Kent
That's it's stinger... like a scorpion... Actually it's a counterweight with two "doughnut" weights on it... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/big10_delux/Dcp00306_small.jpg[/img]

JimV
I like ag tires for working in all conditions except mowing. They really mess up wet grass.

Bunky
Well I have always had Turf Tires on my tractor this year I bought 2 sets of Ag's I love them.. they seem to work great I have less spining in my yard mowing then before and it doesn't seem to tear up the grass because there not spinning.... But yes they do seem to ride a little rougher.....

Boney
You made me curious so I went to ebay and found these AG tires, i was woundering about the cost of them. current bid is $31 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2340208562&category=20544#ebayphotohosting

HubbardRA
The only time that I like turf tires is if you are running a lot on pavement or hard packed gravel. This will wear Ag tires very quickly. Otherwise, Ag tires are far superior. They do less damage to the lawn, because they don't burn the swuare when the spin. They just leave a couple of lines that heal quickly.

djarvis949
I put ag tires on my 7117 last winter for snow blowing (bought an extra set of rims)and never took them off this spring. I am very impressed with them for mowing both hills and on wet ground. Also I have the Carlisle [url]http://www.carlisletire.com/[/url] 'X-TRAC' snowblower tires on the front and they make quite a bit of difference on steering. Don

sun41bird
wow Kent thats an awsome machine your running there nice job.My mommy says no new tractors so new tires will have to do for now.I was looking at a dico/titan tru-power 6 ply from crtire pretty pricey but they should last awile.Currently im running 23-10.5-12 on the rear and 16-6.5-8 on the front they have matching tires for the front also.Has anyone put larger tires on ? i was wondering if a larger size offers any advantage

tractormike
I put a set of titan 26x12.00x12 tru power on my bolens QT16. I also put 6 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each tire. I really like the traction I get with these tires. The bars of the tires are closer together than some other ag style tires and this gives a smoother ride as the bars overlap more on the ground. These tires do well in snow also but on hard ice you still need chains to really dig in.

sun41bird
does that tire fit the stok rim?

MPH
Check your fender clearance before you by, if I'm thinkin rt., going from 23x12 to 26x12 your gain 3 inch in dia., thus 1 1/2 inches in radius. Someone here just raised thier seat pan/fenders up to clear. Only gain I can see is more speed for plowing snow, but you'd have less power for heavy work...MPH

Boney
If memory serves me correct going to a larger tire will increase top speed and decrease tourque {spelling}.

tractormike
My bolens QT16 had enough room under the fenders for these tires. The original tires where 23x10.50x12. The ag tires do not sit perfectly flat on the ground as the rim is an inch and a half narrower than should be used for these tires. I got a real good deal on these tires ($30.00 a piece new) so I couldn't pass them up. I am building a loader for this tractor and it has a factory three point hitch on it that I use with a three point blade. It works real well using the back blade and I can not wait untill the loader is done to go play in the dirt.