Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EZDUZIT

Stupid Question About Trailer Wiring. Need Help !

EZDUZIT
I have just built a 6'X 8'trailer.A friend gave me an old set of lights and wiring off one he used to have.I have both tailights working properly EXCEPT I get "bleedover" when I apply the signal lights ,only when parking lights are on.Light fixtures are mounted to wood ,both are grounded to steel frame,both are single bulb,double filiment type.Yellow wire to left rear,green wire to right rear,both to red wire of fixtures.Black of both fixtures is supposed to go to brown wire.I have tried to "jump" so to speak brown wire to both tail lamps,black wire.I have also tried stripping a spot of the brown wire,going to one side and then to the other side,black wire,still bleeding when signals applied.All grounds are clean and tight,hitch is clean as is ball and under ball to bumper clean. My thought is that the ground wire I am using from the lamps to frame are 20 gauge wire,the wire harness is 16 gauge,maybe to light a ground ?? Or should I split the brown wire and go independent to both lamps ?? Truck to connector is correct also. I have been playing with this thing for about 8 hours in the last few days ,my eyes ,ears,mind,a--,are real tired,cant think anymore.I normaly run into a grounding problem with these things,but this time I know I havent. The "bleedover" is very slight,but enough for the "MAN"[who just had an argument with his wife]to pull me over,and of course I will be over the 800 lb. registered weight at that time.I know the answer is with one of you,as it always is.I searched the whole site to no avail.

rokon2813
Youre describing how clean the bumper and ball are for ground. Is that your only ground to the truck??? Stll sounds like a ground problem to me.

Kent
I agree with Marty. I'd suggest you try running a ground wire between a bolt on the truck frame and a bolt on the trailer frame just to test it. If that solves the problem, put a plug in the middle of it somewhere...

UCD
The white wire in the 4 prong flat connector goes to ground on both vehicle and trailer sides. Make sure bright side of bulb is wired to brake/directional wires

thedaddycat
I agree, it sounds like a grounding problem to me too. I just rewired that snowmobile trailer and had a bit of "fun" too... When I first wired it up, it had been raining and that was enough of a difference that the lights worked fine. Later when it was dry and I was doing the "light check" right before I went to register it, things were all hosed up. It ended up being the vehicle ground was not a good enough ground(I had grounded it to the hitch bracketry) so I relocated the white ground wire from the vehicle harness to a frame ground. That fixed it... As I recall, the brown wire is for the running light power. It sounds to me like you should run the yellow and green to the left and right stop/turn lights respectively. I'm guessing these would be the red wires of those fixtures. The black wires of those fixtures sound like they should be grounded to the frame of the trailer. The brown wire should go to the power (red I would guess) lead of the amber front marker lights AND to the power lead of the red rear marker lights. These are also called parking lights or running lights. The ground wires from these fixtures should also go to the trailer frame. Be aware that some of them(like the ones I uesd) ground with the mounting bolts and won't have a ground wire. Just to be sure everything's OK, take a meter or circuit tester and check which leads from your truck have power on them when you use the parking lights, turn signals, and brakes. If the parking lights are fed from the brown lead, then using it as your ground is the problem....

djarvis949
The problem may also be the used lights, what type are they? The cheap camper type or actual truck lights? There could be enough corrosion where the socket attaches to the housing to cause the problem. I have also seen bulbs that are internally shorted and can cause problems. Use a long jumper from the tow vehicle frame to the bulb socket or bulb to test. De-Ox on the bulb and socket will prevent future problems. Don

djarvis949
to Thedaddycat: Black wires on normal truck fixtures are the taillights (3cp) and red is Stop/Turn (21 or 32cp)ground is thru the chassis. Don

pofarm
This kind of problem is usually a ground fault between the truck and trailer. I always hook up the ground wire on the plug connector. It will be the white wire, if you are using a flat four wire connector. (I believe white is the standard color for ground anyway) I never trust that the hitch will provide a good enough ground.

Agricola
Go with the good ground and you should be fine. You can get away with the ball/hitch working for a while but a good bolted ground to both the trailer and the vehicle will make life much easier for you.

RickS
The trailer connections I used have a separate white wire for ground. I always connect this wire to the mounting bolts for the trailer lights. On the truck I connect the white wire to a good well protected area. When I do this I don't have any trouble. Rick........

EZDUZIT
Hey, Thank you all for your responses.I got home last night and redid the grounding wires from both lamps to the trailer frame,with 16 gauge wire. Problem GONE !!!I had neglected to mention that I did have the trailer grounded to the truck and the truck grounded also.I also had been using a 20 gauge SOLID wire copper ground.I have proved to myself again, that when you are out of the right product for the application. DONT DO IT !!!!Thanks again guys.You have to admit though,the next person that searches this forum for a trailer wiring problem,will find the answer here.